[cryptome] Engineers are on the brink of breaking a massive encryption barrier

  • From: douglasrankine <douglasrankine@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cryptome FL <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 10:47:39 +0100

see url: https://www.inverse.com/innovation/human-hand-encryption-study

see full article...Interesting way of using parts of the human body for the purposes of encryption...

Quote<<<

Whether written invisibly with lemon juice or encrypted with complex math, secret messages are passed on through a myriad of bizarre and convoluted ways.

A team of engineers from China is introducing a new way to secretly transmit our most secret data or access secure locations using a tool that can be found on your person at any time: the human hand.

In their paper published Monday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the team demonstrated how infrared radiation (i.e. heat) coming from the hand can be used to not only decrypt secret messages but also to create passcodes that cannot be cloned or reproduced, granting unique access to information or locations with just a wave.

The integration would offer a power-free, multi-functional decryption system with intelligent human-machine integration — in other words, a powerful way to secure data that is controlled by the human body instead of a computer.

Here’s the background — If your hand is meant to be a beacon of light illuminating hidden mysteries, then why doesn’t it seem to glow when you look at it? It’s because the part of the electromagnetic spectrum that our hands (and whole bodies) “glow” in is outside of the visible range, meaning our eyes simply aren’t equipped to see it.

This electromagnetic range spans everything from large, low-frequency radio waves (like those sending tunes to your favorite FM station) to incredibly small and high-frequency gamma rays (like those inside atomic nuclei or the depths of space.)

Visible light — which captures all the colors that we see — ranges from 750 nanometers in wavelength to 380 nanometers and infrared light falls just outside this range with wavelengths between 1 millimeter to just above 750 nanometers.

But just because we can’t see the light that we emit, doesn’t mean it’s not there. Just as your hand looks unique to the human eye, its IR signature is unique as well. And because we effortlessly generate this light just by keeping our bodies at homeostasis, the authors write that it was the perfect candidate for a power-free decryption tool.

What they did — To transform the unremarkable human hand into a powerful decryption tool, the team only had to separate ambient infrared radiation (e.g. heat in a room) from the infrared radiation coming specifically from a hand. A kitchen scale is a good way to think about how this was done.