[cryptome] Canada Goose’s Image Is Challenged by Union Effort

  • From: "Doug" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "douglasrankine" for DMARC)
  • To: Cryptome FL <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 11:17:43 +0100

see url: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/01/business/economy/canada-goose-union.html

see full article...As James Baldwin once said to Angela Davis..."If they come for you in the morning, they will be there for me in the afternoon." The saying occured in an earlier context, when the German National Social Democratic Party took over the government in fascist Germany, and removed the communists, the politicals, the non conformists, and the jews and put them in concentration camps when they broke the power of the unions and the other organisations of the people.  Trades unionism appears to be weakening all over the world these days, particularly in the mainstream nation states...A dying form of workers representation...what is it being replaced with...who defends the rights of the peoples of the world now...one wonders...the United Nations Human Rights Organisation, WHO and Qanon...😉

Quote<<<

Production of the company’s parkas was once fully unionized, but labor organizers say the owners have taken a harder line in recent years.

Canada Goose, the luxury jacket maker, has cultivated an image that is not only chic but also socially conscious. It has forged alliances with environmental advocates and talked of its commitment to high labor standards.

These efforts have paid off as the company outgrew its roots as a family enterprise and built a worldwide following for its parkas, which can cost over $1,000 and have been worn by celebrities like Daniel Craig and Kate Upton. “We believe that the brand image we have developed has significantly contributed to the success of our business,” the company wrote in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing in March.

But production employees of Canada Goose, who were all unionized as of 2010, have complained that the company has taken an increasingly hard line toward labor that is at odds with its stated values.