[cryptome] Re: A Question of Trust.. Report on Investigative Powers UK Govt 2015

  • From: "Douglas Rankine" <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 15:02:33 +0100

Hi Shaun,

The trouble with being honest, is that one soon gets found out. So said
Oscar Wilde in "A Picture of Dorian Grey". Funny when one contrasts it
with Cardinal Richelieu... J.

I am pleased that you can see the nature of the problem. A couple of years
back me and me missus bought a house. Apart from visiting the place and
meeting up with the owners, the whole transaction was done via the internet,
from contacting estate agents, conveyancers and solicitors to emailing the
necessary documents. If you have ever purchased and sold a house, you will
know that there is a lot of paperwork, from asking questions of the owners,
to asking questions of the local authority and the Land Registry, and both
sides of the buying and selling establishing each other's identities, land
title, exchange of bank account numbers, birth certificates and other
identifiers. Once all the preliminaries were done, the contracts were
exchanged and money was transferred between our bank and that of the
solicitor acting for the seller. It was all done very quickly and very
cheaply. All of this was done by sending the documents, or legally
acceptable documents, via email and attachments. Due to the amount of
information and the sensitivity of the information in terms of personal
identifiers and of course not forgetting the money, and the fact that the
email system was open or not enciphered, we used three methods, one entailed
going to the secure websites of the conveyancers, estate agents and
solicitors, the other, I used WinZip or winrar, one or t'other, and wrapped
it up in a password, after which I did a test, sending it back to myself to
see if I could open it. When I found out that it worked, I phoned the
recipient, explained what I was doing and gave them the password. Some of
our colleagues might disapprove of such a method, or methods, but it
worked, as far as I was concerned.

It was only later that I found out that the secret intelligence services
have a policy of collecting all encrypted communications and keeping them
until such time as they can decipher them. I wasn't so concerned about that
when I found out, because I wasn't money laundering or doing anything wrong,
but I just felt that being placed on their books, so to speak, for
protecting my identity from criminals and criminal behaviour, was a bit
much...almost as if I was being punished, branded, tagged for doing the best
I could to protect my identity and my property as a private citizen; and
shouldn't they be out there catching real terrorists and criminals, with tax
payers money instead of targeting me, because they find it more convenient
and cheaper to sweep us all up into their storage banks, at great cost to
the taxpayer, I might add.