Re: [cpsig] Steam loco types

  • From: "Doug Cummings" <DougCummings@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 07:02:45 -0700

The 4-6-4 was first built for the NYC and thus the Hudson name. Baltic was applied only by one or two railroads who used them, for reasons unknown. Railroads are free to put any name they want on them, as there was no rule saying they had to apply any specific name. Most 4-8-4's were called the Northern but CN called theirs Confederations, at least for awhile, and at least one U.S. railroad called theirs Poconos and on the NYC they were Niagaras. The list is almost endless. Often the first railroad to order locomotives of a new wheel arrangement decided the name, but not always.

Mudhen is an unofficial name that was applied to the D&RGW K-27 2-8-2's. One reason is that they were outside framed with outside counterbalances and they were always coated in mud until the railroad started to widen the roadbed.

Doug

Yet Consolidations, Pacifics and many others are the same for everyone.

I heard of CPR consolidations being called Mudhens. The 4-6-4 is properly known as the Baltic.

How do railroads think when they name a type.

The Whyte system is more accurate but it is clinically “dry”. I imagine names made better advertising.

Jeff