Re: [cpsig] Re: [casing] Re: Preserving an accurate historical record...

  • From: "Sylvan Scale Models" <sylvan@xxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 22:15:15 -0500

Jeff Pinchbeck wrote

I don't think anyone writes with the goal that, "Today I'm going to produce
crap". We all try to do their best with what we've got. At some point you
reach the extent of your efforts and you have to make a decision to go with
what you have or to never do what you intended.

Maybe I'm getting cynical in my old age but I sometimes wonder if some authors of small histories care or maybe they just don't have a clue about historical accuracy. I was just looking through a book of Great Lakes postcards published by the Huronia Museum in Midland. It has some wonderful picture postcards of the Great Lakes and the worst captions I have ever seen. Bet you CPR fans didn't know that Depot Harbour was abandoned after the CP built Port McNicholl and moved their operations there or that the Grand Trunk was started in 1905 to compete against the CPR. Also the Thames River empties into Lake Erie. The whole book is rife with these kinds of errors.

Clare