Re: [cpsig] Re: Steam Locomotive Scrapped Dates

  • From: "Doug Cummings" <DougCummings@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 15:18:49 -0700

Most of the dates in this book are in fact scrapping dates, rather than retirement dates, at least in later years. The T4c's show dates in 1959 and we know for a fact they last ran no later than 1957, perhaps even as early as 1956. They were sure rusty and had not run in some time when I saw them in 1958. I do not know CP's policy but it could have been that they considered the scrapping date to be the retirement date.

On most railroads they would be officially retired soon after their last runs and then turned over to an assets disposal department who would be in charge of disposing of them.

Doug

David, I'm sure more would have responded but that would
be redundant. With regards to your initial query, there is
no list of when CP steam locomotives were scrapped and
certainley not in my copy.