Re: [cpsig] Re: Save the LRC campaign - final push!

  • From: "Roger Traviss" <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 00:12:41 -0700

We are lucky that so many people in the UK put their money up front to
preserve so many fine locomotives (Steam / Diesel & Electric) that today you
can ride behind most classes of locomotive. But many others went to the
scrap yard. This is the reason that Tornado got built by funding as no A1
locomotive was preserved.

I'm thinking of the GTW 4-6-2 that was used in fan trip service and unfortunately was cut up for scrap in the what, 1980s?

Something that never would have happened in the UK yet happened in the U.S.A. with a population of 250,000,000 and proportionally more railfans. However, it seems North American railfans are not so free with their money as railfans are in the UK. How many volunteer run preservation/heritage railways/railroads are there in North America and particularly in the U.S.A.? Few. The vast majority in the U.S.A. are run my for profit companies and not by railfans running volunteer preservation societies.

Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/rogertra/Great_Eastern/