Re: [cpsig] Re: Movement of steam engines

  • From: "Doug Cummings" <DougCummings@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 22:38:48 -0700

I believe the original message was probably making reference to NEW locomotives going west from Angus, either those built there or new from MLW. Due to the fact many of these locomotives would have been oil burners unless special arrangements were made for a supply of oil these would likely have had to be moved dead. We do know that they made break-in trips in the Montreal when brand new and prior to movement west. Generally speaking most railroads did not like to move locomotives dead, and if they could work them they did.
Doug

First of all, Angus did not look after Western Lines power. Ogden and Weston did. Angus did Eastern Lines steam engines. Second, engines were worked in revenue service for two reasons. One, a dead engine with rods off was restricted to low speed (25-30mph). Two, a dead engine isn't earning its keep. Normally, only yard engines were moved dead engine. Dead engines were often moved next to the van so they could be watched closely for signs of trouble.

--- In cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "The Else Family" <madgelse@...> wrote:

Greetings

When a steam engine was moved from Angus to service out west (like a Selkirk or Hudson etc) did any work their way westward or were the side rods removed and the engine pulled?

If they were pulled where in the train would the engine be placed.

thanks

David