Re: [cpsig] Re: CPR Timetables and Yard Limits

  • From: "K V Railway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 12:27:28 -0700

Sorry Steve, but we will disagree. I'm pursuing this with some old timers, seeking clarification, but what you suggest makes absolutely no sense from
train operations. Having a 9.6 mile yard limit on a remote stretch of track makes NO sense in that territory. Are you familiar with the territory or
train operations in that country over the years?

You are right, the quoted rule doesn't define where the switch is. My point is that AT THAT TIME those definitions were made elsewhere and DON'T
APPEAR IN THE RULE BOOK. That's why the rule books got re-written. Part of the reason why I am digging in my heels here is because I have a huge
file containing the correspondence between the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Engineers and the CPR over an interpretation of the rule 93
and 86 (I think it was-haven't time to look) which govern what time the main line had to be cleared at Penticton. The fight went on for over two years
before a very senior official supplied the answer the union was seeking. Moreover, the decision had a profound effect and led to changes being made
in the ETT to accommodate the decision across the whole KV territory. Yet not one trace of the decision appears in the rule book until 1951.

Moreover, the example I gave last night proves my argument. The application of interpretations of rules had to be consistent whether or not they appeared
in the UCOR. The example of the yard limits at Tadanac illustrates the point. Under the UCOR and the prevailing interpretations of the time, what was
done at Tadanac of necessity would have had to have been done at Taft-Three Valley. You are correct, Steve, nothing appears in the rule book - that was
the problem. You are incorrect in stating that the only time switches played a role in train movements was in Rule 93A. By looking at the old rule books,
you just don't get to see the many interpretations made through the years before 1951 (usually amounting to a company rather than an industry practise)
establishing how employees were to be governed.

Joe Smuin

-----Original Message----- From: Steve Lucas
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2012 10:31 AM
To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cpsig] Re: CPR Timetables and Yard Limits

I have in front of me CPR BC District ETT's 84 of 27 September 1942, 96 of 24 September, 1950, and the CPR 1909 General, Train and Interlocking Rules (GTIR), reprinted 5 July, 1949. Both ETT's cover the Shushwap Sub. which Taft and Three Valley are located on. The GTIR is the applicable CPR rulebook before the 1951 UCOR.

In both ETT's double track extends between Taft and Three Valley. Thus double track rules apply per the GTIR. But Rule 93 in the GTIR is not changed for double track. Rule 93 reads in its entirety in the GTIR--

=========================

Within yards defined by yard limit boards, the main track may be used, keeping clear of first and second class trains.

The main track must not be so used within yard limits until it is known that all sections of first and second class trains have arrived.

All trains except first and second-class trains, must, unless otherwise directed, approach and pass through yard limits prepared to stop, unless the main track is seen or known to be clear.

Yellow lights must be attached to the yard limit boards, to be kept lighted from sunset to sunrise.

By night, or in foggy or stormy weather, a red light must be placed on unattended cars or dead engines obstructing main tracks within yard limits.

=========================

You'll notice that there is no mention of siding switches to define yard limits in this rule, Rule 93.

About that "Z" in the ETT's. The GTIR does not mention it as a symbol, but the special instructions in both the 1942 and 1950 ETT's do, agreeing with Joe's interpretation. But this is an ETT special instruction, NOT per the GTIR rule book which preceded the 1951 UCOR.

The 1942 ETT shows the letter "Z" to the left of Three Valley, and to the right of Taft in the station column. So the only possible interpretation is that yard limits DID extend from the yard limit board to the station or station name sign. I'm thinking that this was to obviate the necessity to send out a flagman when stopped to take water and/or turn up or turn down air brake retainers at these stations.

But the 1950 ETT does show the letter "Z" on both sides of Taft and Three Valley in the station column. So now there have to be yard limit boards on both sides of the stations (or station name signs). Perhaps a concession to longer trains being run?

The only time on the CPR (and TH&B) that the location of siding switches ever played a role in train movements on main track was in Rule 93A, both in the GTIR and the 1951 and 1962 UCOR's.

Steve Lucas.

--- In cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "K V Railway" <kvrailway@...> wrote:

I'm afraid that I don't understand your question about yard limits applying
to one track only.

I am saying that under the pre-1951 rules,  there was no continuous yard
limit between Taft and Three Valley.  I think most
railroaders knowledgeable with the country out here would find that an
illogical assumption too.  The yard limit at each place
applied only at that station in the direction indicated. The yard limit did
not extend beyond the station switch at the far end
of the station.

In this case, the ETT holds the key to the matter.  One specific example
demonstrates my point perfectly:  The placement of the
"Z" symbols at Tadanac and Warfield - which are identical to the placements
at Three Valley and Taft.  This example appears in
ETT 73 (Sept. 27, 1936) and later ETTs  where the Rossland Subdivision
footnotes state:

"Tadanac yard limits extend from yard limit board located east of Tadanac to
yard limit board located west of Warfield".

There you have it. IF YARD LIMITS APPLIED OVER THE WHOLE 9.6 MILE DISTANCE
BETWEEN TAFT AND THREE VALLEY, THE ETT FOOTNOTES
FOR THE SHUSWAP SUBDIVISION WOULD CATEGORICALLY STATE SO. (They don't ... I
checked!)  There are other examples which
more or less go along the same line.

One of the handy things about having ETTs which go way back is that you can
see small, curious little details which sometimes explain a lot, if
you know how things worked.  There are a number of situations in the BC
District where the Subdivision footnotes make specific mention of
yard limit details.  There is even one situation where the 'Z' does not
appear at all beside the station name, but the subdivision footnote
advises that the station is covered by the yard limits of the next station.
Even the official instructions aren't always logical at first glance.

You can rest assured that if you find contradictions or ambiguities in these
rules, so did the professionals and that's why the rule books
get updated as the years pass.  The 1951 UCOR was a direct result of a
number of contretemps and black holes in the earlier rule books.

Joe Smuin

-----Original Message----- From: Chuck Johnstone
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2012 5:56 PM
To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hmmm,

So Joe, you're suggesting that the Z denotes that the limits apply to one
track only?   That's something I haven't considered.

I got some input from the rwy-ops list here:
They were supporting the idea that yard limits extended between Taft and
Three Valley.  But your information sounds pretty convincing.  Do you know
if the cpsig has an example ETT I can look that shows the yard limits in the
instructions?

I'll take a closer look at the 1948 ETT.

Thanks for this.
Chuck Johnstone