Re: [cpsig] RE: RE: Unit Trains

  • From: "Roger T." <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 23:36:32 -0800

I always thought the "Unit Train" concept required the train to stay together throughout one or more cycles. On CPR they started with the Fording coal trains in 1969 or 1970. No switching was involved at either end; the train set returned empty to the mine unchanged for another load. Other roads may have had earlier examples.

"Solid Trains" of one car type and commodity go way back in history, the silk trains being just one example. But they did not return to the loading point in the identical formation. Most solid trains were broken up at the destination. Returning empty cars were typically given low priority or reloaded individually with goods that had to go somewhat in the return direction.

I don't have certain knowledge of British practice, but suspect only the modern "mgr trains" meet this more limited definition of a unit trains. I believe mgr is short for merry-go-round".

Yes, MGR's (Merry Go Round) trains, AFAIK, introduced the concept of "unit trains".

A single design of freight car hauling one product from manufacturer to customer in a continuous cycle the train never being broken apart except to remove and replace cars requiring maintenance.

And yes, a unit train goes from "A" to "B" to "A" to "B" in a cycle, which silk trains didn't do.

Cheers.

Roger T.

Home of the late Great Eastern Railway
http://greateasternrailway.com