Re: [cpsig] CP Business Car No, 5

  • From: Jerry Kitts <jerryjkitts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:27:45 -0700

Jeff,

As I have not heard back from my friend on rather or not he has the article in RMC if would be great if you could scan them both for me. My friend is retried and would have gotten back to me hours ago if he had the RMC in question. I think he said he was doing house cleaning of older magazines. Just clipping out what was of interest to himself, which is the Leigh Valley.

You are doing me a favor. I could send some folio sheets I have collected, but they are for that other railroad in Canada the CN. It may be a dirty word on this group.

The CN sent them to me in early 60's and are as follows if they are of interest:

50 ft. First class car Class PB-50-A # 3032 built in 1884 by Harris & Co. Old Canadian Government Ry # 57
70'6" Dining Car Class D-A-70A #s 1287 and 1288 built in 1910 by G.T Ry Old GTR # 2809.
74'0" Parlor - Cafe Car Class PC-74-A 671- Liscomb and 672 - Rawdon built 1909 by Canadian Car & Foundry, Old G.T.P. 3901 and 3903.
50'0" Baggage Car Class BA-50-B #8028 built in 1887 by Harris & Company Old Canadian Government Ry 2733.
69'6" Sleeping Car (Buffet) #960 - Onoway built date unknown.
50'0" Passenger & Baggage Class CA-50-E built 1887 by Crassen Co, old Canadian Government Ry #2205.

All are wood bodied cars. As they are all originals from the Railroad maybe there is a spot for them in someone's archives.

Also in the 60s I got the two following photos from the CP.

I a photo of #144 a 4-4-0 from the CP photo #B-6208-1. Its a good clean fairly close up of the engine under steam.

I have one other CP photo that was sent to me by the railroad labeled on the back "13804 Fourteen car train, either an excursion or an immigrant train of settlers of the Prairies. Engine #129, 4-4-0, Rhode Island 1883" It is also stamped CPR file copy must be returned to the photo file clerk.

Perhaps both of the 8 x 10 photos at least should be sent back for the CPSIG archives? All the above are original folios from the two railroads not just copies off the Internet or some other source.

For myself I can just scan them into my computer and still have the information. I have a number of original plans I collected in the 1960s that I would like to get to other historical groups. Copies are all I need, the originals are probably of some value to other groups.

As you can tell I really like wood bodied cars. I really want to do all I an to upgrade the little 35 foot car. This project is for myself but I also do model making for a living, so rebuilding or scratch building a car is just something I normally do anyway. Sometimes the hardest part is finding good information.

Jerry Kitts

On Mar 26, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Jeff Pinchbeck wrote:

I went on line and registered with the CPHA and looked at the folio
sheets. Business car no. 5 is not the same as the car Jack Work did
in his article and that Van Hobbies imported. The Business car No. 5
I am looking for is only 35 feet long, wood construction, and was
built in 1912 in the company shops. There is no other information

I know the car you're talking about. The interior information is for the 35' car. I thought we might have the folio on the site. No problem I'll get you the right folio. I have the RMC article too, if you want it.

Jeff