Re: [cpsig] American Canadian Signal Colours

  • From: KVRailway <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 02:53:54 -0800

I stand to be corrected, but I think that you are incorrect about North American signals. It is true that Canada and the United States no longer have common operating rules, BUT ... so far as the rules concerning signal displays, in both Canada and the US, they will be standard throughout the industry - regardless of the company. American rules concerning signal displays, so far as I know, are more or less the same as they were when the Canadian railway industry decided to go its own way and rewrote the rule book.

The Uniform Code of Rules in the US and the CROR (can't remember what it stands for) in Canada are federal regulations. Companies can not twiddle signal displays or what they mean to suit a manager's whims. A Clear to Stop signal in Canada will be the same on the CN as it is on the CPR. Likewise, an Approach signal will mean the same thing in the States, no matter what the road.

Since I retired from BC Rail, I'm admittedly behind the times, particularly with American regulations, but I'm pretty sure that the railroaders from both countries lurking on this list will back me up.

Joe Smuin