Re: [cpsig] 05/09 CPR Box-express 29019+ series

  • From: Jim Little <jlittle02@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 12:14:24 -0400

Richard;
Two photos in Morant's "Canadian Pacific" book, pg 350-351 Show both a steam (b&w) and diesel (Colour) shot of trains at Ladner Creek trestle in the Coquihalla with express boxcars following. The steam shot has one car in 'Spans the World' and a second car in the pre-1947 scheme ('CANADIAN PACIFIC' only above the car number). I also have photos from GTC Collectibles in Vancouver of #29076 and #29101 in the 1950-1964? 'stepped' scheme.

From the colour diesl view (pg 351) it appears the car in the pre-1947 scheme has a black roof(asphaltum paint)the sides were standard boxcar red. I beleive the stepped scheme would have been all boxcar red (roof too).

All cars had a stencil on the left side of the door - "EQUIPPED FOR PASSENGER SERVICE". Trucks were regular freight trucks, and the steam line was present.

Hope this helps.

Jim Little
CP SIG

Richard Sutcliffe wrote:

Hi again

A local aquaintance, without internet access, ask if I knew the colors of the ends and roofs of the box-express cars 29019 - 29115, when they were in the standard boxcar red paint scheme.

This is assuming they were in passenger service before they were repainted, which may or may not have been the case.
Which lettering scheme was used - probably block, but one line or two?

I don't know, so you all are it<G>

This would be before they were painted in the "passenger" scheme as shown in Riddell's book, page 24.

Thanks
Dick