Up front steam question

  • From: PBowers <waiting@xxxxxxx>
  • To: CNLines-CNet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, CNR-SteamMavens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:14:44 -0400

I was asked the following question about the use of piIots vs footboards on the front of steam engines. I don't think there was any federal regulations restricting footboards on road engines. Many lines were serviced regularly using locos with footboards on the front. Safety regulations stated you were not to get on the footboards of an approaching loco. In more recent years there was a regulation removing footboards I believe from road engines. Any info on this would be helpful. Thanks!
pbb
At 06:02 PM 7/13/06, you wrote:

In the steam days - was there not a regulation that required road power to have a pilot ( not footboards ) on the front of the locomotive ?

Did this regulation, if there was one, affect CASO and other US steam power operating in Canada?. In regards to this, NYC operated 2-8-0 and 2-8-2 had pilots installed when assigned to Canada while US operated locomotives from the same class had footboards instead of a pilot.

Peter Bowers