Steam SNOBS expanded coverage

  • From: PBowers <4everwaiting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CanModelTrains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, C-N-R@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, C-P-R@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Canadian-Railways@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, CNLines-CNet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 50s-cdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, BruceRys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 15:12:54 -0500

"STEAM" - Parry "S"ound to"N"iagara, "O"ttawa and "B"rockville to "S"arnia/Windsor. Yes after consultation with the group we have new expanded boundaries.

Are you a SNOBS steam fan? After several discussions with some of the area "Fans of the Steam Era, it was decided to resurrect a list similar to the old Canadian Branchlines list but extend it to CP lines as well as interurban and industrial operations in southern/midwestern Ontario.

There is currently, among others, the BruceRys, <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BruceRys/> LindsayRails <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lindsayrails/> Canada Southern <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CanadaSouthern/> and the NS-CSX-Ontario <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NS-CSX-Ontario/?yguid=342124801> lists discussing this general area but the premise of the new list would be to cover the steam era.

The list is planned to discuss the years prior to 1960, the "Steam Era" in southern Ontario. More specifically, the lines are, those west of Brockville and Ottawa to Lake Huron and Parry Sound/Mactier south to the Niagara and Lake E rie comprising part of the CNR Northern Ontario Division and all of the Belleville, Stratford, Toronto and London Divisions, the CPR's Bruce Trenton and London Divisions, comprising their Ontario District. Discussion may also include the Toronto, Hamlton and Buffalo and the Canadian operations of the US railways as well as the electric operations found in the area during the steam era.

So in short the new list is The "STEAM" era on the "S"outh Parry to"N"iagara, CP"O"ntario District and "B"rockville/Ottawa to "S"arnia/Windsor

The list will cover all planned, abandoned and existing lines as they were prior to 1960. Lines are not excluded to what we know as Canadian National and Canadian Pacific properties If there were private industrial lines, electric lines, or common carriers that did not become part of the "big two" their discussion is welcome on the new list.

The only exception is that the cut off date is Dec 31, 1960.

As other forms of motive power were used prior to this cut off date, they may freely be discussed. As well, some topics are bound to include areas outside our discussion area. These too may be discussed but their relatively to the discussion area must be clear.

As with other lists, flaming is not allowed. Derogatory statements about companies, employees or others on the list will not be tolerated. New members are moderated and upon showing responsibility they will be removed from moderation. Moderator's will, however freely put offenders on moderation if necessary. Spam is monitored so you likely will never see it however we all know the evils of Grouply!

The success of the list is in the hands of the membership. If the list is not used no one gains. We have an area with a wide and interesting history. I hope that we get to share and grow the knowledge of it.

Peter Bowers
List Owner/Moderator

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 090220-0, 20/02/2009
Tested on: 21/02/2009 3:13:00 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2009 ALWIL Software.