Rant of the week: was Consolidated stencil block

  • From: "KVRailway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 20:10:05 -0700

Been awhile since I've had a good rant:  Hit the delete button now.

Rainer, to most old rails, guys like youse (sic) is rail-nerds. There's usually no malice intended by the use of the term. By definition (of a rail-nerd) you're interested in all sorts of arcane details which bore the pants off most rational people and which nobody but certain employees care about and even then, probably most of them don't know or had long forgotten. For that reason, to those of us who've had no choice but suffer it on the job for long years, you're nuts. Nothing wrong with that! You can't be interested in OR work for long periods on a railway and not be at very least a little bit strange somehow. :>)

However: It always irritates me when people talk to me about being 'proud.' I can assure you that I was not a proud employee, but rather a pragmatic one. I had a family to feed, period. My ego and identity and sense of self-worth had nothing to do with going to work. Any pride I felt in carknocking soon dissipated as I learned and saw how the system really worked. In my experience, 'proud' often meant the willingness and ability to put up with discomfort, inconvenience and mindless routines that hadn't changed in decades. I used to get this crap all the time about 'pride in the job' from management - most especially when they were trying to avoid acknowledging that improvements were feasible and worth spending money on. This crap could really get laid on sometimes when managers were trying to skirt the contradictions between what the rules said, the realities of the hazards and what they wanted done. The practical reality of 'proud' too often translated as the company playing on timid, gullible and/or religious employees in order to take advantage of such employees in ways that were certainly neither in the best interests of those employees nor (usually) very scrupulous when examined under a bright light.

In other cases, pride was a macho thing for a lot of the men and the companies took every advantage of that too. A surprising percentage of guys took pride in being 'tough enough' and actively resisted attempts to improve poor working conditions. More of a problem for progressive-minded people are those employees who have a real servant's mentality and pleasing the boss is everything to them. What is ironic is how many of those same men got a bitter surprise when cut-backs /downsizing came and they were among the first to be shown the door. I saw a lot of these guys who just loved their jobs - and who (whether promoted or not) didn't have any use for the union or unions - find out the hard way that loyalty to the company and/or length of service didn't count for squat when push came to shove. Even now, I'm watching certain, loyal, long-time (over 30-year) railway employees either get fired outright or forced to take their pensions for infractions that are often chicken-s*** on the Richter scale. Their pride and conscientiousness hasn't protected them in the slightest from a ruthless management that will drop them at the slightest pretext.

I'd say I'm disaffected, Rainer. A LOT of people on the railroad (and elsewhere) paid for their pride and loyalty with dismissal the moment corporate priorities changed - never mind those who paid with their blood or occupational health problems that corporations and health-insurance companies ignored or fiercely disputed at every turn of the road. The good thing about the job was a steady pay-cheque, a strong union and a pension at the end of it all.

Joe Smuin

1. - "Joey, the secret to telling a good railway story is to always try to stick just as close to the facts as possible." --- (the late) Cliff Inkster; CPR Engineman, raconteur and philosopher.
2. - The secret to contacting Joe by email is to be sure to insert "Joe" or "Smuin" into the main text portion of any message you send to him, and thus your message should percolate through his spam filters.

----- Original Message ----- From: "b4cprail" <rr_auer@xxxxxxxxx>