Back to Pullmans running on CP

  • From: Dennis Storzek <destorzek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 11:38:27 -0500

List,

I think we've beaten Roosevelt's trip to Birch Island to death...

I've run into a couple things recently that tie in with the discussion of Pullman Co. cars running in CP trains.

First off, reading the latest issue of Classic Trains (Fall 2009) Frank Rogers "Remembering the C&NW in Madison" (Wisconsin) is the first time I've ever read a reference to maroon cars, both Soo Line and Canadian Pacific, in C&NW trains. These would be, of course, the through cars to Chicago from the Mountaineer, which ran via the C&NW most years from 1933 until 1949.

I also ran into a list of Pullman assignments to the Soo Line and CP in the files of Tom Madden's PassengerCarList. Tom has spent considerable time burrowing through the Pullman Co. records now housed at the Newberry Library in Chicago, and had originally extracted this information in response to a question I had, and I'm pleased to see that he has now extracted all the cars. I have uploaded a copy of this information to the Files area:

This information is from the Pullman Co. document RECORD OF TRANSFERS OF AIR CONDITIONED CARS. Pullman began installing air conditioning in their vast fleet in 1934. By 1937 they felt the need to track the assignments of the newly air conditioned cars, and did so in a ledger that was kept current until December 31 of 1943. Between these dates we can see the beginning and end date of every car assignment to both the CP and Soo Line. The CP assignments are specifically for the Soo-Dominion and the summer Mountaineer service; from the dates one can pick out the long term assignments of the cars used in the base Soo-Dominion service, and also short one or two month assignments that were extra cars to handle the summer crowds on the Mountaineer. Unfortunately, if there were additional cars that lacked air conditioning (such as tourist sleepers) they will not be listed here.

The Soo assignments are a little more complex, because the Soo contracted for Pullman service on some routes that did not run into Canada. The various eight and ten section restaurant cars were used on the Wisconsin Central routes from Chicago to Duluth and Chicago to St. Paul. Other cars would be running on the St. Paul - Winnipeg trains, or in a pool with the CP cars on the Soo-Dominion or Mountaineer. However, it's a good bet that the short term summer assignments to the Soo were for use on the summertime Mountaineer.

I should mention two additional resources for information on Pullman cars. One is Tom's web site at:

http://pullmanproject.home.att.net/

Here can be found a downloadable Excel spreadsheet that lists Pullman's entire 6000+ car fleet, with dates of construction, rebuilding, repainting, and various information about brake and a/c equipment. Tom also runs the fore mentioned PassengerCarList at:

Which is a good place to learn more about modeling Pullman Co. cars.

Dennis Storzek