BC Forestry Museum pitch tank car

  • From: Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:07:46 -0700

Thanks for offering your thoughts Don & Jeff, - I would not have received Jeff's yet if it weren't for yours Don - the usual Yahoo spotty message delivery problem.....

Anyhow, at this point I reject the flat car load theory for several reasons. If its a flat car, how come there is no deck under the tank? When I blow up the image, it appears to just have walkways along the sides like the next tank car in line, but nothing in-board.

Further, have a look at Fred Shannon's photo of CP 415503 Water Tank Car 10,000 Gal. 2nd April 1979 in the files section of the list in his folder CPR Drawings by Fred Shannon - there are a couple of very clear views. As you can see, these have what's left of the original aparatus on the ends - closed off as no longer required on a water car. Note too - no domes. Finally, note that the pattern of the aparatus on the car end. It is similar to that in Fred's shot - the top quarter of the end is blank and only the bottom 3/4 of the end has the markings.

Finally, if those were flues, drawing on what I've seen in steam locos, there are too few, and they are much too large in diameter.

The one thing I will concede before seeing further proof: I am still not certain these were pitch tank cars.

I'm looking for another photo in my collection showing this car as built, but have not found it this a.m. If I locate it I'll try to post a scan,

Rob Kirkham