Re: [50sNB4cdn] 50 years ago

  • From: "Roger T." <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <50s-cdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 21:26:07 -0800

I was born in the UK and didn't come to Canada until January, 1966.

I model the 1960s because I like steam. I freelance because accurate, rtr Canadian prototypes are as about as rare as hen's teeth.

If UK rtr had been up to the quality of North American rtr that was available in the 1970s, Athearn Vs Hornby and Tri-Ang, I would still be modelling UK outline. British Railway, Southern Region with strong LSWR influence to be exact. But UK rtr was abysmal and was, up to the mid 1990s. I started off modelling 1972, all diesels, all freight. Then Bachmann introduced the Spectrum 2-8-0 and the GER was back dated, within weeks, to 1958 based solely on the 2-8-0. I didn't even expect other steam to be added and if it hadn't been, I still would have been happy with half a dozen 2-8-0s. But luck has been on my side so steam is strong on the GER.

Cheers
Roger T.
See the GER at: -
http://www.islandnet.com/~rogertra/