Re: [ConstellationTalk] Humanity and Australia

  • From: Otteline van Zuilekom-Lamet <pno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ConstellationTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 20:43:06 +0200

Hello Soni,
What a beautiful custom of the Aboriginals to let the grandmother teach the granddaughter about womanhood. Of course, was my first reaction, she does not only has more distance she has a lot more experience too. I am a grandmother myself so when the time comes I'll pay attention to this. Thank you!
You also remembered me of the fact that I do not know the name of my greatgrandmother.
Greetings,
Otteline van Zuilekom-Lamet
daughter of Maria
granddaughter of Feike

Soni Stecker heeft op vrijdag, 29 aug 2003 om 04:44 (Europe/Amsterdam) het volgende geschreven:

I'm still mulling over the genealogy article and our Western culture's need for finding our roots to recover our lost sense of belonging and fragmented sense of self...

Phillip Adams' article on Aboriginal elder Maureen Watson's silent support of her granddaughter has brought back a memory:

At a conference, Aboriginal elder Nura Ward introduced herself thus: 'I am Nura, daughter of ..., granddaughter of ...' She said in Aboriginal culture it was customary to introduce yourself by honouring your ancestral lineage, your people and your place of origin.

She also said that in Aboriginal tradition it is the task of the grandmothers to teach girls about womanhood - not the task of the mothers. She elaborated that this was so because mothers were too involved with their daughters - grandmothers had the necessary wisdom to teach. (Nura Ward, Festival of Birth, November 2000)

Soni
daughter of Hanna
granddaughter of Catharina
great-granddaugther of Minna

on 28/8/03 7:38 AM, Chris Walsh at info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I writing to let you know I used part of the Philip Adams article in our last workshop. At the risk of stating the obvious I would like to point out 2 things:

1. The segment in blue below describes the situation a constellation facilitator often finds themselves in:
The child just stood there – and it
became clear that her silence wasn't stage fright so much as
emotional intensity. She really, desperately, wanted to tell us
something. She wanted it so much that she could barely breathe.
She managed a few words, then fell silent again. Every second
seemed like a minute and, yes, the minutes seemed like hours.
Somehow I knew it would be wrong to intercede – that any
paternalism on my part would be entirely inappropriate. More than
that, it would be symbolic of the relationship between black and
white in this nation for centuries.

Once again, a few sentences, then silence. Her hands clenched at
the lectern, she stood with closed eyes. Then something
extraordinary happened.
2. The next segment illustrates the importance of having the right person standing behind you - as we often see in constellations:

Then something
extraordinary happened. Maureen Watson, the Aboriginal elder
who'd performed the opening ceremony, rose from her chair and
walked v ery slowly, with great dignity, to the stage. She climbed
the three stairs and stood just behind the young woman.
Understand that she didn't speak to the child, not a word. And I
don't think she touched her. She just stood there, motionless,
sculptural. She was, literally, just there for her. And it was
enough. For soon the words were flowing

So thankyou Bubula
This piece was very educational as well as very touching.

hasta la vista
Chris Walsh

An Australian Constellation Website:
www.constellationflow.com