[CTS] Re: iMac group / help

  • From: Ross Nelson <ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:55:44 -0600

Very true, but IE is *HORRIBLE* on Mac. Not horrible like the security issues in Windows, it's flat-out bad. Mozilla (used to be? is?) built for OS9, probably not Firefox. Could grab Opera as well. But, depending on what she would use it for, it's probably sufficient.

I'd just shove 10 on there if it were mine; she can still run the old software through Classic and still run anything new. I'd go for 512mb...OS X is fairly sluggish with less than 384.

AppleWorks isn't that great, it's ClarisWorks (according to Peggy...can we trust her? ;) ) so it's obviously an attempt at an all-in-one solution for little money. Those tend to not be the best. Again, for what she's doing, it might be perfect. I haven't played with it much (used it on an OS9 box and installed 6.something on here when I first go this) so I don't know how well it handles MS Office formats, but I doubt there'd be many (if any at all) problems.

Microsoft Office on Mac isn't all that great. I keep it installed for files that I can't open in AbiWord (my processor of choice, but it's just a word processor, nothing else...and I've run into a few bugs in it, though I was running 2.2 when 2.4.1 is current) and for Excel and PowerPoint.

There is a native OS X port of OpenOffice (J/Office I believe it's called), but it's the worst of all options out there from my experience. It's slower than OOo is on anything else I've used it on. I highly recommend anything instead of it.

On Dec 16, 2005, at 10:19 AM, PEGGYG827@xxxxxxx wrote:

IE 5 for Mac works on 9.2, and there are no security issues with it. I run IE 5 in a 20 mac lab, and a 12 mac lab. They do what I, and my students need them to do.

In a message dated 12/16/2005 11:10:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, ECVogel@xxxxxxxxx writes:
She has never touched a MAc. I also forgot that no new web broswer that is modern will run on 9.x

** YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED ** DONATE to Hurricane Katrina victims: http://www.redcross.org/ DONATE Housing (Spare room, shelter) http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm