[CTS] Re: Scanned

  • From: Hal <hdbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 19:35:27 -0500

How do you secure your server? I realize this is not something you can relate in a few words, but IIS is downright dangerous without a security policy in place.

Anyway, I don't see how they could even see it behind my firewall. As you can see, the log file indicates that it dropped the scan. And as I said, when I'm not using it, I'm going to shut it down, even just on the LAN.

There are so many ways to get to a system it's incredible. Now I'm wondering about TIVO. I have a TIVO box on my network, and I wonder how secure that is. They send messages to it, and I can set up programming on-line. The phone line is disconnected.

From my understanding TIVO is a Linux box. A friend of mine is an engineer and he enjoys hacking anything. His current interest is TIVO, and it will be interesting to see what he does with this.

At EST 06:43 PM 12/1/2005, - Russ Blakeman duly noted:

Looks more like an auto scanner found it and is trying to ping it for use as
a pass thru for mail. China and Taiwan are full of those stupid things.

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm