[CTS] Re: Reading NTFS

  • From: Hal <hbrown@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 19:35:06 -0400

You don't have to do that. Try NTFS reader. It boots from a floppy and you can manage files as if you were in DOS. I think it's called NTFS DOS. You should be able to Google it and find it.

Hal

At EST 05:50 PM 5/6/2004, - John Durham duly noted:

I'm not familiar with that. Do you have any more information about where to get it and how to do this with it?

Steve wrote:

You could try to use the latest Knoppix LiveCD.

John Durham wrote:

I have a problem with an HP system that is stretching my resources. The operating system is corrupt (XP Home). The owner has no recovery disk (not suplied with the system). The hard drive has 2 partitions, FAT32 containing the corrupt recovery system, and NTFS containing the corrupt operating system along with all the owner's data.

The only option left appears to be to find a way to read the NTFS partition data onto another drive and then re-partition and set up the system with a new operating system.

Does anyone know of a utility that will boot the system and allow NTFS data to be read and copied?

-- Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig> ICQ number 112663246 Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786 Award winning web site at http://modecideas.com?sig Order my latest e-book at http://modecideas.com/dmaxhits.htm?sig PC-HELPERS list subscribe/unsub at http://modecideas.com/discuss.htm?sig Good advice is like good paint- it only works if applied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer Talk Shop http://www.computertalkshop.com Un-subscribe/Vacation, http://www.computertalkshop.com/list_options.htm

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm

http://www.nod32.com

-- Hal Brown http://adwt.com email: hal@xxxxxxxx