[CTS] Re: PCMCIA Card

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:55:00 -0600

Netgear makes good PCMCIA nics - what you do want to look for though is it
having an RJ45 rather than a dongle - dongles get lost and broken and the
small bump up on one that has a direct RJ45 connect is nothing for the gain
in quality. I have an FA 511 card on my laptop, 10/100 and it has never let
me down - Netgear also supports it well.

If all you are going to do is connect a non-networked desktop to a
non-networked laptop (not normally networked until they go together is what
I mean) then ask the vendor about a crossover cable - elimates the need for
a hub or switch. You can leave the cable plugged into the back of the
desktop (just roll it up out of your way when not in use) and when you need
to connect them just hook the loose end into the NIC on the laptop.

You setup a regular network witha workgrop (no domain) and make sur to
manually apply a private IP to each, 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 works about
the easiest, with both having a unique computer name (ie DESK and LAP) and
the same workgroup name - subnet for the 192.168.xxx.xxx numbers will be
255.255.255.0

You can also share the desktop's printer on your laptop - it will show
unavailable or offline when you aren't hooked up to the desktop.

The alternative is a docking station for the laptop, just use the dock's
network card instead of a PCMCIA card, that way when the person is back with
the laptop they slide it into the dock and it's networked - they can even
use a mouse, keyboard and monitor with it during dock sessions.

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm