[CTS] PCI Serial Controller/What is it?

  • From: "David" <doctorwhogoesthere@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:25:40 -0500

Hi.  I am having a rather frustrating problem with a computer running
Windows 98 First Edition not being able to go online.  Here are what I hope
are all of the relevant details.
My wife and I each own a computer purchased from Micron, now MPC.  Both
machines are running Windows 98 First Edition and I have kept them both in
pretty good working order.  Both are running Avast Antivirus Home Edition.
Both are connected to Verizon DSL via a Westell 2200 modem and a Linksys
router, both purchased from Verizon.  Her machine is the one connected with
the modem and the router via a USB cable, and mine is just connected, via
USB, to the router.

As you know, Windows 98 is a bit hard to configure with USB thumb drives,
but my wife had a need to use one on her machine.  I actually found a USB
flash drive driver file which claimed to work on 98 First Edition.  I
installed it on my wife's PC and it actually worked.  It was able to see the
thumb drive and we could access its files.  We were both rather excited at
this but our celebration was short-lived when my wife told me she couldn't
go online.  Eventually I discovered that her Device Manager showed an item
which my Device Manager did not show.  Her Device Manager showed a category
called "other devices" and in this category is something called a PCI Serial
Controller which claims to be uninstalled.  However, I was unable to find
appropriate drivers on both my Windows disk and my Micron disk.  My machine,
on which I did not install these drivers, is working fine and can go online.
Of course, I attempted to uninstall these drivers and it appears that I did
so successfully but with no positive results.  I don't have the original
Verizon installation CD.  If anyone has a clue as to what I did and to what
I can do to fix this I will be very grateful, as will my wife.

Take care,

David

Christ is risen!!!

Oh, give thanks to the Lord