[CTS] Notepad Hijacked

  • From: "Owens, Jack K." <Jack.Owens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:41:56 -0700

Wondering if anyone has run into this problem with XP Pro.  A week or so ago
AVG reported that I had a downloader Trojan on my system in the system volume
files.
I was able to remove the Trojan by turning off my restore points, rebooting,
and turning my restore point back on.  Last evening I went to launch
Notepad so I could cut and past some file paths and names into a text document.
 Upon launch of Notepad, Zone Alarm wanted to know if I wanted to
allow Notepad to access the Internet to a 217.xx.xx.xx:80 address.  I know of
no legitimate reason for Notepad accessing the Internet.  If this was caused by
the downloader Trojan, what else could be hijacked and lurking until launch and
how can I tell.  Can I use file dates or something like that to tell if an
executable has been hijacked.  Thanks.