[CTS] Re: Norton Ghost.

  • From: "Owens, Jack K." <Jack.Owens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:51:30 -0800

The trouble with backing up an exchange server and wanting the capability to
retrieve a single mail message is that the single mail message is an object
contained in a file not a stand alone file.  The email is kind of like a
single record in an Access or Oracle database.  If you restore the entire
file you destroy every piece of mail that has come into the server since the
image or backup was performed would be lost.  In most cases this would not
be good thing.  In my dealings with exchange,  you have to use a product
like Veritas that has the ability to backup the server as an image so if the
machine goes belly up it can be rebuilt, but also has the ability to restore
that single email that the boss accidentally deleted.  These are some of the
reasons that I try to stay as far away from administering any type of mail
server.