[CTS] Re: MS SQL Server

  • From: Steve <spatz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 14:35:58 -0500

John Madden wrote:

Well he did say that Sam's Club would be an option. It's a small
office, and maybe 2 people would be hitting the database but not at a
very constant rate, so he doesn't need a 2.4Ghz machine with a Gig of
RAM, although he said he wanetd something fast. I was at Qli Computers
site last night and I configured a machine for just under $1000 that
would be more than enough for what he wants. I have never dealt with
them though.

Yeah, jeez, you'd hardly need anything hardware-wise, unless we're talking about a large amount of data in that DB. With Linux/Postgres, you could get away with a very low-end machine, nothing more than an althon ~750, 128-256MB RAM. Bigger database means more RAM, more connections means more CPU -- so if anything, in your situation, bump up the RAM and save money on the CPU. I'd also buy two disks instead of one and mirror them.

John

I have to convince him, first, that going with a Linux install will be better. I know Linux a little better than I do Windows XP, All the software for Linux is free. But then again, I can't spend too much time getting everything on the Linux box working right. I know that can be also said for Windows as well. I agree, though, more RAM is better, the last machine he got from Dell only has 128MB of RAM. I was actually surprised that he was okay with getting a second box to be 'server'. But I had spent 2 hours yesterday tying up the fast machine, so I think he understood where I was coming from when I said that a second machine just for me to develop on would, in the long run be better.

Any experience with Los Alamos Computers or Qli? If I am going to do the Linux thing, it's illy to pay for a copy of Windows XP , that would never get used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer Talk Shop http://www.computertalkshop.com Un-subscribe/Vacation, http://www.computertalkshop.com/list_options.htm

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm