[CTS] Re: Eric's MediaOne RoadRunner Connection Speed

  • From: "Eric C. Vogel" <ECVogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Computer Talk Shop" <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:26:48 -0500

IE 5, gave the option to skip, so I did. (I have IE 5.01 Sp-1), RR Medic.
Checks your connections and sends reports back. That is is, unless the rest
are bundled with IE. The ^(&(& Mail server was down more than up.

They have me an ugly looking 3Com Home Connect Cable Modem (In a box as if
they got it from CompUSA.) They gave me the box in case I need to send it in
for service, or return it if I cancel service. I found a Connections CD-ROM
in it. (Like all 3Com modems have) and a crappy user manual. It does give me
an IP to get into the config.... I wonder If I can bump up the speed??
Probably not. It says not-for-export and can communicate with the cable
provider at 56-bit encryption. (crackable, but better than none, will stop
the adverage Joe.). This is the ugliest modem I have seen in my life. No
on/off switch. I wonder if I have to leave it on. I would like to turn it
off to save power. Our rates are going up. My Mom says our current bill is
at what it is on in the Summer with the air on all the time. The cable
person would not give me an awnser and said the modem sleeps like all DSP
hardware. Why does to bright lights (big) stay on in the front, and a small
one in the back. It looks like it could light out a whole room.
http://www.3com.com/homeoffice/products/cable_external.html (Picture, info)

MediaOne can update the software on it remotely at anytime. (Darn, I would
like a new "Nice" looking one.)

You know your connection is good when your P-III 500 Mhz, 192 Meg Ram,
cannot keep up with the connection.. I love the speed so far. I got 128k
while upgrading Real Player to the latest version. (Had to, the copy I had
was beta.) and 80 some k on something else.
\
# Eric C. Vogel @ Work
#
# Computer Talk Shop Owner http://questforcertification.com/cts