[COMP] Re: were listed on web ferret

  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 01:18:44 -0500

> Hey i just did a search for *network router* with web ferret and found us!
>
> under the description: 'build a network at home'
>  http://avenir.dhs.org/articles/hardware/network-howto.html
>
> shoulda looked in here first <duh>

But of course. :)

This is actually a strange coincidence.  A friend said basically the same thing
tonight-- that he did a search on google (great engine), and got back av web at
the top of his list.  Interesting, eh? :)

> It occured to me that sharing internet connections and sharing files between
> my lan would require more than just a hub....98 wont let me separate the two
> functions.
> Maybe NT will?

Not sure what you mean by "separate the two functions."  They are two separate
functions already...

> how is a router different from a switch?

They're actually pretty close.  A router is a box that connects multiple
smaller networks together, and directs packet traffic to the correct network.
Switches do the same sort of thing, but usually on a smaller scale, say within
the same network.  They can be used to route too, though.

 > I wanna share internet connections, and have my file
sharing invisible to the  > internet....would one of these do this?

Somewhat, but that's not what they're designed for (you can configure a router
to do this), and the pricing is unbelievable -- you could *easily* spend
$50,000 on a decent switch for a decent-sized network.  What you want is a
firewall.  Read the ipchains and firewalling howto's, and you'll be set.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Sys-Admin / Webmaster, Avenir Web: http://avenir.dhs.org