[COMP] is anyone posting?

  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:16:46 -0400

Is @home losing my COMP mail or is no one posting?

if I am getting out, anyone heard of this free linux server spoken of
below from www.esmith.net.?
I got a unknown host error msg when I tried to go there.

snipped from sysopt.com msg board

      sirrenity
      Junior Member
                        posted 04-26-2000 09:01 AM

                     I tried a lot of proxy servers with various systems
and had limited success.
                     Sometimes they didn't work and when they did
performance was sketchy. In any
                     case, my son could not play battlenet behind the
main computer. I tried Wingate,
                     Nat1000, Win98 Internet Connection Sharing, all
with the same results. I ran
                     across a free linux server that is designed
specifically to act as a gateway/server
                     for the internet. It can be found at
www.esmith.net. Make sure to download the
                     PDF manual as well. The program sets itself up
automatically in about 10 minutes
                     and is based on Redhat 6. I had a server up and
running in about 30 minutes, not
                     knowing anything about linux configuration. I am
running 6 computers on my home
                     network and they all have their own connections via
the server. My son has had
                     his friends over and had as many as 3 battlenet
sessions going concurrently. Best
                     of all, it doesn't take much of a processor. I'm
using a 486 dx4 100 with 32 megs
                     of ram and a 400 meg harddrive. I have not had one
problem with this server yet.
                     Yes, it seems to be secure too. Hope this helps.

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org