[COMP] Re: cell phones and eye cancer

  • From: "David Bruce Jr" <dbartbruce@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:23:03 -0500

Is Free Lists a perl script?
Is it something I could install on my servers?

I put a script on one of my domains that verifies subscribers...

let me explain...

when your starting a commercial marketing newsletter you
have to get subscribers to send to.

one of the best ways to do so, is to accept Free New subscriber
ads. The problem with that is about half of your subscribers aren't
the least bit interested in reading your ezine...

as soon as thier ad runs, they unsubscribe.

but ya gotta start somewhere.

Anyway, someone publicized the concept of subscribing with either
fake email addys, or subing w/ a yahoo acct that forwards to a
usa.net acct (and set the usa.net acct to autodelete all incoming mail)

I installed mailmachine.cgi from www.mikesworld.net and effectively
foiled the cheaters. (it sends an email back to the subscriber and the
subscriber needs to click on a link to get on the list)

That's ok for a newsletter list.

I need a cgi script to do this for a discussion list (like freelists).

All my hosts are running modified versions of redhat.
(don't ask me what the modifications are...I just learned how to telnet in
and debug...well kinda...I'm learning)

Thanks
David Bruce Jr
Baltimore MD