[COMP] Re: Should I shut my computer down every night?

  • To: <computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 21:22:47 -0500

It's really all personal opinion, neither way is better :)

Your computer won't be "damaged" by leaving it on all night, but it's just
like any other appliance in your house, if it's turned on then it's using
electricity and there's always the freak spontaneous combustion accident
waiting to happen. (Don't laugh, I've taken a couple of calls about burning
computers)

It won't hurt to shut it off either as long as you shutdown windows before
turning the computer off.  One of the few things thing that's "bad" for a
computer is to turn the power on and off quickly without waiting a few
seconds.  Of course, you should always unplug your computer completely from
the wall whenever there are storms/lightning around (this includes the phone
lines!)

I personally leave my computers on all the time because I access them from
friends houses and at work.

If you just use your PC for general home purposes then I would shut it off
every night if for no other reason than to save money on the electric bill.

Hope your aren't more bewildered now than before I replied! :)

John Ware
Alt-N Technologies
http://www.altn.com