[COMP] Network outage

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, landb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bsolway <bsolway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sewing <sewing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, brunovdc <brunovdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, smckeown <smckeown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 17:28:41 -0500

Hello,
    We experienced a network outage last night, as I'm sure many of you
noticed.  It turns out that GTE decided to upgrade the Frame Relay to
Rose Hulman (our ISP), but failed to let anyone (the users) know.
I only knew that something like this was going to be happening at some
point in December from an email that was forwarded to me in a
friend-of-a-friend sort of situation.  Nice, eh?
    Anyway, at about 7:30 last night, the network went down, and only
came up sometime early this afternoon.  The good news is that the
bandwidth made available to the ADSL subnet linked to Rose Hulman is now
three times what it was before, although Avenir Web is still capped at
64K upstream, so we probably won't see too much of a difference.
    About email: if you're worried about missing anything, don't.  Most
mail servers will hold mail for 5 days before deleting it, so everything
should be coming through tonight.  Better late than never, right?  :)

Sorry for the delays and any inconvenience.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2E68EA
# Sys-Admin / Webmaster, Avenir Web: http://avenir.dhs.org