[COMP] An opinion..tweaking the virtual memory!

  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, computertalkshop-list@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:21:20 EDT

Hi ....I found this "hint" in one of my newsletters, but being a total
coward, I don't want to try it and screw something up without getting an
opinion first.  OR maybe someone is brave and will try it, someone
big...brave..handsome..intelligent.....ok..ok..anyway...wha'cha think? <BG>
     TIA                                                     Jackie :)

<<This tweak is definitely one to pass along to friends. Windows 98
accesses your swap file (virtual memory) before it runs out of RAM
(physical memory) -- which, from a user's point of view, is
completely nuts. Virtual memory will always operate slower than
physical memory, so why does Windows 98 insist on using both?
Frankly, I don't know. According to article Q223294 in the
Microsoft knowledge base, this new method is more efficient. Uh
huh. Thank goodness they've posted a fix! Yes, if you have more
than 64 megabytes of RAM and you're running Windows 98, you'll
wanna give this a shot. In your SYSTEM.INI file, under the
[386Enh] section, enter: "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" (without
the quotes). Reboot, and I believe you'll find your system more
responsive. Your mileage may vary!>>

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org