Re: what kind of fool am I? (rhetorical question!)

  • From: Mysti Rudd <Mysti.Rudd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:18:22 -0500

Don--
how about I come to virginia just to stay with you? do i have to  have an
ulterior motive?  I certainly missed seeing you and your candy-ass this summer.
(i didn't go to wal-mart once!)
Unlike you, i am not contracted until 2008. In fact, i haven't signed my
contract yet as a form of subtle protest that turned not-so-subtle last week
when the vpaa said that i would be terminated if i didn't sign. this pissed me
off so the pen i had stuffed in my pocket for the purpose of signing the
contract wouldn't budge in that norwegian-stubborn way of my ancestors. so i
drafted a letter to the president, revised it by deleting a sylvia plath poem
("Metaphors") and the words "uppity" and "Overseers" (come on--i wasn't using
them in the same  sentence!!!)and gosh darn if i didn't walk this letter over
to the pres's office yesterday.

what kind of fool am I? (think appropriate broadway tune here)--apparently the
iup me is seeping like a blood clot into the other nine months of the year.
Guam, are you ready for me?????  Bueller??? ANyone????

Just in case anyone is wondering what I am fighting for, apparently I am
eligible for promotion to assistant professor because i have completed 30 hours
of grad. credit beyond my master's (plus four years of service at this
college), but this promotion doesn't include a raise, a derby hat, or even a
side of fries. So i am fighting for a 2,500$ annual raise to go along with this
promotion. My colleagues are glad that I am standing up--but this could be
because they hate my sorry-ass. As it stands now, I am sticking out like a
communist chinese flag  among the yellow ribbons on campus.  Ah, the glory of
being James Dean with a cause!

Natzo-thanks for the lit circles. my students are getting into it. i'm too lazy
to provide the markers, though, so I suggested that the illustrators act out
scenes from "Their Eyes Were Watching God" and "Hucleberry Finn."  What a
hoot!!!

Et. Al: what do i do when some of my comp 1 students drag their best friend
(and high school mentality) with them into my fine classroom?  They don't seem
to be getting the hint about diving deep and surfacing--taking the risk of
sitting next to someone they don't know--even when i assign this every other
time.  god, do i have to regress to a kindergarten seating arrangement with a
"hands to yourself" sign posted on the bulletin board? and btw--i hate it when
i become one of those whining teachers who complains about her students.  most
of them are quite lovely--with journal writing that digs down deep.  I guess i
could always become a grave digger. unless that requires the use of heavy
equipment--i always wanted to be a carpenter but i can't stand noise or slivers.

scattered mysti