Re: Dissertation Blues

  • From: "Kathleen J. Klompien" <kklompien@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: comptesol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:35:20 -0700

Amy,
Can't you do some of the dis stuff at the center. Work the system! I am one
to talk. I have done nothing with my dis. since the first week of August.
Then I was given three big boxes of unopened primary source data which needs
to be cataloged and anaylyzed etc., but I have just been too damned busy to
get on it. I will do dissertation work for at least 45 minutes this
week---please hold me to it all.
--Kath

 On 9/21/05, ms lynch <amy.wordnerd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/21/05, David Ray Golden <d.r.golden@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Finally, my own update. I really, really hate my dissertation. I
> > mean, to the point I'm ready to go all Sun Tzu on this thing. "Hey,
> > Dissertation, I have a LIFE, and you're messing it up." Stupid
> > academia.
> >

> Yeah, I now what you mean. For me, it's oddly manifesting itself as what I
> call Idle-Time-Bitterness. When business is slow in the Writing Center, I
> find myself, for the first time, resenting being there--I want to be home
> getting my dissertating done. I love my fencing lessons, need them for
> sanity, but when I'm at the gym I'm thinking about how much I coul dbe
> gettig ndone if I were home. I don't want the work to consume me, but is
> seems to be creeping too much into every part of my life.

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world [â] the point is to change
it." --Karl Marx