[coloredpencils] Colored Pencils Art and Culture Night TODAY @ 5.30 pm!

  • From: Colored Pencils Art and Culture Council <artshow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:07:08 -0700

 *Celebrate Portland’s History of “Coming Together”*
 *Oregon** Historical Society Hosts Colored Pencils Art & Culture Night*
*at 1200 Southwest Ark Avenue Portland, OR 97205*
*

*
For the June 29 event,  World Affairs Council of Oregon
<http://worldoregon.org/> has
invited Colored Pencils to bring our families living room party to The
Oregon Historical Society <http://www.ohs.org/>* to celebrate the coming
together of Portland's diverse communities of all abilities.*

With our co-hosts and amazing artists from   Disability Culture and Arts
Project  <http://dacphome.org/about/>, Connecting Communities
Coalition<http://www.thecccoalition.org/>
, Portland Commission on
Disability<http://www.portlandonline.com/equityandhumanrights/?c=49185>
the
event will celebrate the rich artistic legacy of Portland's indigenous and
newomer communities and their contributions to bold tapestry of our beloved
Rose City.

*We’re preparing for an exciting and dynamic  event, as we celebrate the
history of Portlanders. Native Americans who called this land home, and
those of us who arrived in later generations: *we have come together to
create a culturally vibrant city. With our partnership with our co-hosts,
we are also working to connect the artistic expressions of our vibrant
disability culture with the mainstream community.

*Honoring the founding tribes of Oregon*, a *Native American performance
will start off the evening*. Then, two performances by recent émigrés from
Mexico and Zimbabwe will follow, to connecting the continuing past to the
breadth of Portland’s newcomer experiences.

Singer and songwriter *Edna
Vazquez<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPwa_ilWkLg&feature=related>,
founder of Portland's very first all women mariachi band,* who spent her
first 16 years in Jalisco, Mexico. Since coming to the States, Vazquez has
performed at various venues throughout Oregon, as well as in nationally
televised shows and contests.

*Chido Dhliwayo, <http://www.zimeye.org/?p=55626> an international student
from Zimbabwe who was crowned NW African Queen in 2011, will present a
native dance*. When not performing, Chido is focused on learning business
skills that will one day prove useful in helping development in her home
country of Zimbabwe.

Colored Pencils also proudly presents a special performance by *DCAP’s
Youth Dance Troupe, led by Kathy Coleman,* Artistic Director. The dance
troupe’s performance will incorporate bodies and ways of moving to stretch
the audience’s view of dance and the possibilities of an inclusive society.

*Poet Bill Alton
<http://www.pacificu.edu/news/detail.cfm?NEWS_ID=6009&CATEGORY_ID=8>
will ** share his spoken-word memoir of a childhood filled with violence
and an adult life plagued by substance abuse and injuries. * Alton started
writing in the 1980s while incarcerated in a psychiatric hospital. Since
then, his work has appeared in The Oklahoma Review, The Red River Review,
Poet’s Corner and Whalelane among other literary journals. In 2010,* **he
was nominated for a Pushcart Prize, a prestigious award celebrating the
best short stories, poems and essays published in U.S. small presses.*

*We will end the event with Portland very own welknown DJ Lama
<http://www.oregonlive.com/special/sharing/index.ssf/2008/11/call_him_the_music_man.html>
(Timothy
Lamar) whom has touch hundred of people's lives with his music.*
*
*
*As for this event featured artists are*
*
*
§        * **Lavaun Heaster *has enjoyed creating art since childhood and
originally went to college as an art major. Through her works, she
endeavors to create more accessible art for her friends with low or no
vision. She has been inspired by the vibrant art and disability scenes in
Portland, OR and has combined her passions in creating original art.
§       *  **Erik Ferguson* is a multidisciplinary artist whose works often
include movement and performance as well as two-dimensional visual art.
Born without stereopsis – the ability to see in three dimensions – his
works use heavy patterning to maintain visual interest.
§         Diagnosed with Down Syndrome,* John Kelting <http://johnkelting.com/>
*was not able to talk clearly, and art became his primary form of
expression. He has spent years developing a mastery of pencil drawing,
watercolor painting, ceramics and sculpture. John has studied at Portland's
Metropolitan Learning Center, and graduated from Portland State
University's Life Skills Program in 1998. He has worked as an illustrator
for *The Oregonian* and for *Hillside News*.

Colored Pencils Art and Culture Night is made possible by grants from
the Regional
Arts and Culture Council.  <http://www.racc.org/>Support is also
provided by United
Way of the Columbia-Willamette <http://www.unitedway-pdx.org/index.php>;
Bureau of Planning and Sustainability Bureau, the City of
Portland<http://www.portlandonline.com/bps/>
; Portland State University’s International Student and Scholar
Services<http://oia.pdx.edu/isss>
; the Asian Reporter Newspaper;
<http://www.asianreporter.com/columns.htm> Colors
of Influence online magazine <http://www.colorsofinfluence.com/>; and Rise
to Excellence Consulting <http://risetoexcellence.com/who-we-are/>.

Colored Pencils celebrates three years of building community among
Portland’s settled and immigrant communities, of all abilities.

*Our brother  sweet brother Odessa Too will cook up his famous traditional
soul food ~African-American cuisine,*and will offer small bites for sale.

 Fine and performing artists’ reception starts at 5:30pm.
Spoken word and musical jamming begins at 6pm and ends around 9pm.

*FREE to senior, kids, students ~ $10 suggested donation to support our
family building project and non-profit organization.*

Colored Pencils Art and Culture Council’s mission is to uphold the dignity
of all people by creating an artistically and culturally rich environment
where everyone bond in their humanity and safe to express their uniqueness.

*  *

*DONATION  ~ *

619 SW 11th Ave, Suite 129****

Portland, OR 97205-2646****