[colombiamigra] Rv: [nep-mig] 2015-10-17, 7 papers

  • From: "william mejia" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wmejia8a" for DMARC)
  • To: "colombiamigra@freelists org" <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 17:47:22 -0700

Enviado desde Yahoo Mail en Android

De:"Yuji Tamura" <ernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Fecha:Dom., Oct. 18, p.m. a 6:22 p.m.
Asunto:[nep-mig] 2015-10-17, 7 papers

nep-migNew Economics Papers on Economics of Human Migration

Issue of 2015‒10‒17
seven papers chosen by
Yuji Tamura
La Trobe University
http://econpapers.repec.org/pta90

Community Leaders and the Preservation of Cultural Traits

Prummer, Anja; Siedlarek, Jan-Peter

Migration, entrepreneurship and development : a critical review

Naudé W.; Siegel M.; Marchand K.

Migration Outflows and Optimal Migration Policy: Rules versus Discretion

Ismaël Issifou; Francesco Magris

The role of networks for migration flows - an update

Michel Beine

Immigration and Economic Growth in the OECD Countries 1986-2006

Ekrame BOUBTANE; Jean-Christophe DUMONT; Christophe RAULT

Remittances and the Brain Drain in Ghana: A Computable General Equilibrium
Approach

Isaac Dadson; Ryuta Ray Kato

Height, Weight and Well-Being for Rural, Urban and Migrant Workers in China

Lee, Wang-Sheng; Zhao, Zhong

Community Leaders and the Preservation of Cultural Traits

Date:2015-10-09By:Prummer, Anja (Cambridge-INET Institute) ; Siedlarek,
Jan-Peter (Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland)We explain persistent differences
in cultural traits of immigrant groups with the presence of community leaders.
Leaders influence the cultural traits of their community, which have an impact
on the group’s earnings. They determine whether a community will be more
assimilated and wealthier or less assimilated and poorer. With a leader,
cultural integration remains incomplete. The leader chooses more distinctive
cultural traits in high-productivity environments and if the community is more
connected. Lump-sum transfers to immigrants can hinder cultural integration.
These findings are in line with integration patterns of various ethnic and
religious groups.Keywords:Cultural Integration; Cultural Transmission;
Leadership; Immigrants; Labor Market Outcomes; Social Influence;
NetworksJEL:D02 J15
Z10URL:http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:fip:fedcwp:1517&r=mig

Migration, entrepreneurship and development : a critical review

Date:2015By:Naudé W. ; Siegel M. ; Marchand K. (UNU-MERIT)We provide an
assessment of the state of scholarly and policy debates on migrant
entrepreneurs in development. They are often described as super-entrepreneurs
who contribute to development through i being more entrepreneurial than
natives; ii providing remittances that fund start-ups in their countries of
origin and iii returning entrepreneurial skills to their home countries when
they re-migrate. We evaluate these three views and conclude that the empirical
evidence to support the notion of the migrant as a super-entrepreneur is weak.
We further argue that the evidence is less ambiguous on the general development
contribution of migration over and above its contribution through
entrepreneurship. The implication is that removal of discriminatory barriers
against migrants and against migrant entrepreneurs in labour, consumer and
financial markets will promote development in both sending and
receiving countries, not least through reducing the shares of migrants that
are reluctant entrepreneurs.Keywords:International Migration; Mobility,
Unemployment, and Vacancies: General; Entrepreneurship; Economic Development:
Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration;JEL:J60 L26
O15 F22URL:http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:unm:unumer:2015033&r=mig

Migration Outflows and Optimal Migration Policy: Rules versus Discretion

Date:2015By:Ismaël Issifou (LEO - Laboratoire d'Economie d'Orléans - CNRS -
Université d'Orléans) ; Francesco Magris (IXXI Institut Rhônalpin des systèmes
complexes, LEO - Laboratoire d'Economie d'Orléans - CNRS - Université
d'Orléans)We study the effects of more open borders on return migration and
show that migrants are more likely to return to the origin country when
migration rules are softer, because this implies that they could more easily
re-migrate if return migration is unsuccessful. As a result, softening
migration rules leads to lower net inflows than generally acknowledged. We show
that if government follows rules to shape the optimal migration policy, it will
chose more open borders than in the case its behavior is discretionary.
However, this requires an appropriate commitment technology. We show that
electoral accountability may be a solution of the commitment problem. As a
matter of fact, observed softer immigration rules in
western countries suggest the effectiveness of such a
mechanism.Keywords:Migration Return,Optimal Migration Policy,Time
ConsistencyURL:http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-01207706&r=mig

The role of networks for migration flows - an update

Date:2015By:Michel Beine (CREA, Université de Luxembourg)This paper covers the
literature on the role migrants networks in explaining aggregate migration
flows between countries. We first provide a small review of the literature and
the issues at stake. We then provide an update of the estimates of the network
elasticities using the dataset on migration stocks and flows from Ozden et al.
(2011). Using micro-founded gravity models, we estimate the network
elasticities and discuss the key driving mechanisms explaining their size as
well the variation in the amplitude across categories of destination and over
time. We emphasize the specific role of family immigration policies. To that
purpose, we cover briefly the recent experience of four receiving countries to
highlight the importance of these policies in explaining part of the observed
network elasticities.Keywords:F22, O15, R11,
R15URL:http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:luc:wpaper:15-14&r=mig

Immigration and Economic Growth in the OECD Countries 1986-2006

Date:2015By:Ekrame BOUBTANE ; Jean-Christophe DUMONT ; Christophe
RAULTURL:http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:leo:wpaper:2235&r=mig

Date:2015-10By:Isaac Dadson (Ghana Statistical Service, Economic Statistics
Division, Ghana) ; Ryuta Ray Kato (International University of Japan)This paper
presents a computable general equilibrium (CGE) framework to numerically
examine the impact of remittances and the brain drain on poverty reduction as
well as income inequality in Ghana. The generalized framework with the latest
Ghanaian input-output table of year 2005 with 59 different production sectors
provides the following results: On the impact of remittances, more remittances
reduce poverty, and expand the Ghanaian economy. On the impact on income
inequality, it depends on who receives more remittances. If the rural (urban)
households receive more remittances, then income inequality shrinks (widens).
On the impact of the brain drain, it is negative to both poverty reduction and
income inequality, even if the externality effect of the brain drain is taken
into account. On the overall impact of
both remittances and the brain drain in Ghana, income inequality becomes more
severe. On the other hand, the overall impact on poverty reduction, it depends
on the amount of remittances as well as the sector where the brain drain
occurs. As long as the brain drain occurs in either the education or the health
sector, then the positive impact of remittances outweighs the negative impact
of the brain drain. However, if the brain drain occurs in the public
administration sector, then more remittances are needed to offset the negative
impact of more brain drain. Furthermore, if the brain drain occurs in all
sectors by more than 5 percent, then even a 30 percent increase in remittances
to both rural and urban households is not large enough to offset the negative
impact of the brain drain, thus, eventuating in the Ghanaian economy being
damaged as a whole.Keywords:Ghana, Remittance, Brain Drain, Poverty, Income
Inequality, ComputableGeneral Equilibrium (CGE)
Model, SimulationJEL:C68 D58 I32
O15URL:http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:iuj:wpaper:ems_2015_04&r=mig

Height, Weight and Well-Being for Rural, Urban and Migrant Workers in China

Date:2015-10By:Lee, Wang-Sheng (Deakin University) ; Zhao, Zhong (Renmin
University of China)In general, the happiness literature has paid little
attention to the relationship between physical appearance and well-being. In
this paper, we examine the link between weight, height and well-being for three
distinct samples in China given that attractiveness effects likely vary greatly
across sociocultural contexts. As China has recently undergone rapid economic
transformation in the urban areas, this empirical exercise is particularly
interesting because it can highlight how changing social norms have affected
the relationship between physical appearance and subjective well-being. For the
rural and migrant samples, we find that for both men and women, big and tall
individuals have higher levels of well-being. This is consistent with the
notion that the strong are better off when more labor intensive work is the
norm. For the urban sample and for urban males
in particular, no well-being penalty is found for being obese, unlike previous
results based on Western samples. It is very likely that the unique Chinese
cultural practice of network building banquets and feasting is behind this
finding.Keywords:China, subjective well-being, height, weight,
semi-parametricJEL:I10
I30URL:http://d.repec.org/n?u=RePEc:iza:izadps:dp9397&r=mig

This nep-mig issue comes without any express or implied warranty. You may
contact the editor by reply to this mail.

General information on the NEP project can be found at http://nep.repec.org.
For comments please write to the director of NEP, Marco Novarese at < director
@ nep point repec point org >.

Use http://lists.repec.org/mailman/options/nep-mig to sign off.