[colombiamigra] Fw: [nep-mig] nep-mig, 2014-07-21, 7 papers

  • From: "william mejia" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Colombiamigra <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:27:58 -0700

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:39 PM, Yuji Tamura <ernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Final
NEP: New Economics Papers
Economics of Human Migration
Edited by: Yuji Tamura
 La Trobe University
Issue date: 2014-07-21
Papers: 7
This issue of nep-mig is sponsored by University of Neuchatel. They are looking
for an Assistant Professor in Energy and Innovation Management, to start
February 2015 in Neuchatel, Switzerland. Application deadline: 31 August 2014.
Access to full contents may be restricted.  To subscribe/unsubscribe follow
this link;http://lists.repec.org/mailman/options/nep-mig
In this issue we have:
        1. Skill Mismatch and Migration in Egypt and Tunisia
Nordman, Christophe Jalil; David, Anda Mariana
        2. Access to Higher Public Education and Locational Choices of
Undocumented Migrants
Cebula, Richard; Nair-Reichert, Usha
        3. Employment of Undocumented Immigrants and the Prospect of Legal
Carlo Devillanova; Francesco Fasani; Tommaso Frattini
        4. The impact of product quality on the pro-trade elasticity of
immigrants
Giorgia Giovannetti; Mauro Lonati
        5. Return Migration of Foreign Students
Govert E. Bijwaard; Qi Wang
        6. Diaspora transferts statut social et inégalité
Jellal, Mohamed
        7. Diaspora transferts et volatilité économique
Jellal, Mohamed
Contents.
        1. Skill Mismatch and Migration in Egypt and Tunisia
Date: 2014-04
By: Nordman, Christophe Jalil
David, Anda Mariana
The objective of this paper is to shed light on the issue of skill mismatch in
the context of return migration in Egypt and Tunisia. Using data on both return
and potential migrants in Egypt and Tunisia, we analyze the skills that
migrants acquire before and during migration and the way these skills are used
upon return. We find evidence of skill mismatch, especially in Tunisia. The
undereducation phenomenon is more prevalent among return migrants, indicating
that they make up for their lower education using their migration experience.
Finally, we estimate the determinants of skill mismatch on the Egyptian and
Tunisian labour markets and find a significant negative effect of return
migration on the probability of being undereducated.
Date: 2014-07-03
By: Cebula, Richard
Nair-Reichert, Usha
Many states have experienced a large influx of undocumented migrants in recent
years. This has created new demands on higher educational systems at the state
level. Some states have passed legislation to restrict the access of
undocumented migrants to higher public education whereas others provide access
in various forms including in-state tuition. Our research examines a related
issue that has not been researched much, namely, the impact of educational
access on the location decisions of undocumented migrants in the US.
Undocumented migrants appear to locate in states with high average median real
per capita incomes. There is also evidence of clustering of undocumented
migrants in states with large migrant networks. The effect of educational
access on the percentage of undocumented workers in a state is mixed and small
in most specifications, a finding perhaps indicative of a trade-off between
competing priorities the choice of location.
Date: 2014-06-26
By: Carlo Devillanova (Bocconi University, Dondena and CReAM)
Francesco Fasani (Queen Mary – University of London, LdA, CReAM and IZA)
Tommaso Frattini (University of Milan, LdA, CReAM and IZA)
This paper estimates the causal effect of the prospect of legal status on the
employment outcomes of undocumented immigrants. Our identification strategy
exploits a natural experiment provided by the 2002 amnesty program in Italy
that introduced an exogenous discontinuity in eligibility based on date of
arrival. We find that the prospect of legal status significantly increases the
employment probability of immigrants that are potentially eligible for the
amnesty relative to other undocumented immigrants. The size of the estimated
effect is equivalent to about two thirds of the increase in employment that
undocumented immigrants in our sample normally experience in their first year
after arrival in Italy. These findings are robust to several falsification
exercises.
Date: 2014
By: Giorgia Giovannetti
Mauro Lonati
This paper investigates the links between product quality and the pro-trade
effect of ethnic networks using a large panel on trade flows and bilateral
stocks of immigrants with information for 19 OECD destination countries and 177
origin countries. In line with the approach of Rauch and Trindade (2002) we
classify traded goods according to their quality level and separately estimate
pro-trade elasticity of ethnic networks for each subgroup. We allow for
heterogeneity of immigrants according to both the level of per capita income of
their country of origin and their education level. The pro-trade effect of
immigrants increases with the quality of traded goods. We show that this trend
does not depend on the relatively high concentration of differentiated products
in top quality subgroups. By comparing the trend of elasticities across
samples, it emerges that immigrants from highly industrialized economies are
relatively more likely to be part of networks
 which create more business opportunities for top-quality products. In
addition, given their lower liquidity constraints and advantages in human
capital, we find a greater impact of high-skilled migrants consistent across
all quality levels. Finally, contrary to the recent findings of Ehrhart et al.
(2014) and Bratti et al. (2014), regardless the quality of traded goods as we
enlarge the sample by adding immigrants from low and middle income economies we
find lower pro-trade elasticities.
Using administrative panel data, this paper presents a comprehensive empirical
analysis of the return of recent foreign students in the Netherlands. We focus
on how individual labour market changes and marriage formation influence their
decision to leave. Our model allows for correlated unobserved heterogeneity
across the migration, the labour market and the marriage formation processes.
The large size of the data permits us to stratify the analysis by five groups
based on the country of birth. The empirical analyses reveal that employment
hardly affects return behaviour of students and unemployment induces them to
leave. Marriage in the Netherlands makes the students more prone to stay. The
size of the impact of these life course experiences on return differs by
income, age at entry, business cycle and gender.
Date: 2014-07-15
By: Jellal, Mohamed
Date: 2014-07-12
By: Jellal, Mohamed