[colombiamigra] Fw: [nep-mig] 2014-10-03, 4 papers

  • From: "william mejia" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: Colombiamigra <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 05:39:45 -0700

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:43 AM, Yuji Tamura <ernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Final
NEP: New Economics Papers
Economics of Human Migration
Edited by: Yuji Tamura
 La Trobe University
Issue date: 2014-10-03
Papers: 4
NEP is sponsored by the Department of Economics, University of Auckland
Business School.
Access to full contents may be restricted.  To subscribe/unsubscribe follow
this link;http://lists.repec.org/mailman/options/nep-mig
In this issue we have:
        1. Migration Experience, Aspirations and the Brain Drain - Theory and
Empirical Evidence
Marcus H. Böhme; Toni Glaser
        2. Migration in Italy is Backing the Old Age Welfare
Daniela del Boca; Alessandra Venturini
        3. Spatial migration
Carmen Camacho
        4. Immigration, growth and unemployment: Panel VAR evidence from OECD
countries
Ekrame Boubtane; Dramane Coulibaly; Christophe Rault
Contents.
Date: 2014-08
By: Marcus H. Böhme
Toni Glaser
We develop a theoretical model of human skill formation and emigration.
Additionally to existing brain drain models, we partly endogenize the
heterogeneity of the individuals, by introducing aspirations. Emigration of an
individual will result in a migration experience, which increases the migrant's
aspirations. This will induce her to invest more in the education of her
children back home. We find that this aspirations effect increases the average
skill level in the society for a given migration rate. We show that the optimal
migration rate that maximizes the post-migration skill-rate of the population
is higher if we allow for the aspirations effect of migration. We use panel
data from Indonesia to demonstrate that a migration experience has an
aspirations increasing effect and calibrate our model accordingly. Our results
suggest that there are potentially more countries than previously assumed which
benefit from migration
Date: 2014-09-05
By: Daniela del Boca
Alessandra Venturini
Date: 2013-02
By: Carmen Camacho (CES - Centre d'économie de la Sorbonne - CNRS : UMR8174 -
Université Paris I - Panthéon-Sorbonne)
We develop a model economy adapting Hotelling's migration law to make
individuals react to the gradient of their indirect utility. In a first
version, individuals respond uniquely to utility differences. In a second
phase, we insert our migration law as a dynamic constraint in a spatial model
of economic growth in which a policy maker maximizes overall welfare. In both
cases we prove the existence of a unique solution under certain assumptions and
for each initial distribution of human capital. We illustrate some extremely
interesting properties of the economy and the associated population dynamics
through numerical simulations. In the decentralized case in which a region
enjoys a temporal technological advantage, an agglomeration in human capital
emerges in the central area, which does not coincide with the technologically
advanced area. In the complete model, initial differences in human capital can
trigger everlasting inequalities in physical capital.
Date: 2013-02
By: Ekrame Boubtane (CES - Centre d'économie de la Sorbonne - CNRS : UMR8174 -
Université Paris I - Panthéon-Sorbonne, CERDI - Centre d'études et de
recherches sur le developpement international - CNRS : UMR6587 - Université
d'Auvergne - Clermont-Ferrand I)
Dramane Coulibaly (EconomiX - CNRS : UMR7166 - Université Paris X - Paris Ouest
Nanterre La Défense)
Christophe Rault (LEO - Laboratoire d'économie d'Orleans - CNRS : UMR6221 -
Université d'Orléans)
This paper examines empirically the interaction between immigration and host
country economic conditions. We employ a panel VAR techniques to use a large
annual dataset on 22 OECD countries over the period 1987-2009. The VAR approach
allows to addresses the endogeneity problem by allowing the endogenous
interaction between the variables in the system. Our results provide evidence
of migration contribution to host economic prosperity (positive impact on GDP
per capita and negative impact on aggregate unemployment, native-and
foreign-born unemployment rates). We also find that migration is influenced by
host economic conditions (migration responds positively to host GDP per capita
and negatively to host total unemployment rate).

This nep–mig issue is ©2014 by Yuji Tamura. It is provided as is without any
express or implied warranty. It may be freely redistributed in whole or in part
for any purpose. If distributed in part, it must include this copyright notice.
It may not be sold, or placed in something else for sale.
General information on the NEP project can be found at http://nep.repec.org/.
For comments please write to the director of NEP, Marco Novarese at < director
@ nep point repec point org >.