[colombiamigra] Fw: [nep-mig] 2012-12-06, 14 papers

  • From: william mejia <wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 16:55:40 -0800 (PST)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Yuji Tamura <ernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: nep-mig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:39 PM
Subject: [nep-mig] 2012-12-06, 14 papers

Final
NEP: New Economics Papers
Economics of Human Migration
Edited by: Yuji Tamura
 Australian National University
Issue date: 2012-12-06
Papers: 14
Note: Access to full contents may be restricted.
NEP is sponsored by the School of Economics and Finance of Victoria University
of Wellington.
To subscribe/unsubscribe follow this link
http://lists.repec.org/mailman/options/nep-mig
In this issue we have:
        1. Attrition and Follow-Up Rules in Panel Surveys: Insights from a
Tracking Experience in Madagascar.
Vaillant, Julia
        2. Intertemporal Remittance Behaviour by Immigrants in Germany
Giulia Bettin ; Riccardo Lucchetti
        3. Is there monopsonistic discrimination against immigrants? First
evidence from linked employer-employee data
Hirsch, Boris; Jahn, Elke J.
        4. Culture, Intermarriage, and Immigrant Women's - Labor Supply
Z. Eylem Gevrek; Deniz Gevrek; Sonam Gupta
        5. Co-national and transnational networks in international migration to
Spain
Neubecker, Nina; Smolka, Marcel
        6. What Determines Attitudes to Immigration in European Countries? An
Analysis at the Regional Level
Yvonni Markaki; Simonetta Longhi
        7. Sources of anti-immigration attitudes in the United Kingdom: the
impact of population, labour market and skills context
Markaki, Yvonni
        8. European immigrants in the UK before and after the 2004 enlargement:
Is there a change in immigrant self-selection?
Simonetta Longhi; Magdalena Rokicka
        9. International Migration: A Global Complex Network
Emmanouil Tranos; Masood Gheasi; Peter Nijkamp
        10. The political economy of trade and migration: Evidence from the
U.S. Congress
Paola Conconi; Giovanni Facchini; Max F. Steinhardt; Maurizio Zanardi
        11. Migration, International Trade and Capital Formation: Cause or
Effect ?
Felbermayr, Gabriel; Grossmann, Volker; Kohler, Wilhelm
        12. Demographics, Labor Mobility, and Productivity
E. J. Wilson; K. Jayanthakumaran; R. Verma
        13. Economic Conditions and Employment Dynamics of Immigrants versus
Natives: Who Pays the Costs of the "Great Recession"?
Raquel Carrasco; J. Ignacio García Pérez
        14. On deficit bias and immigration
Ben-Gad, M.
Contents.
Date: 2012
By: Vaillant, Julia
Most longitudinal surveys recontact households only if they are still living in
the same dwelling, producing very high attrition rates, especially in
developing countries where rural–urban migration is prevalent. In this paper,
we discuss the implications of the various follow-up rules used in longitudinal
surveys in the light of an original tracking survey from Madagascar. This
survey attempted in 2005 to search and interview all individuals who were
living in the village of Bepako in 1995, the baseline year of a yearly survey,
the Rural Observatories. The tracking survey yielded an individual recontact
rate of 78.8 percent, more than halving attrition compared to a standard
dwelling-based follow-up rule. The tracking reveals a very high rate of
out-migration (38.8 percent) and household break-ups, as three-quarters of
recontacted households had divided between 1995 and 2005. The average income
growth of the sample over the period increases by 28
 percentage points when follow-up is extended to those who moved out of their
household or village, suggesting that dwelling-based panels give a partial view
of the welfare dynamics of the baseline sample. A higher baseline income per
capita is associated with a higher probability of staying in Bepako and of
being found in the tracking if one moved out. The hardest people to find are
the poorest and most isolated. Special attention should be paid to collecting
data that enable the identification and follow-up of individuals, without which
attrition is likely to remain a source of bias even after a tracking procedure
is carried out.
Date: 2012
By: Giulia Bettin ; Riccardo Lucchetti
In this paper, we use data from the German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP) in the
1997-2009 period for a large sample of migrants from 84 countries in order to
develop an empirical model for the propensity by migrants to remit. Our model
takes into full account the intertemporal aspects of the problem, which has
been ignored by a large part of the applied literature, despite its theoretical
and empirical importance. We find that most results already established in the
empirical literature are confirmed; however, the intertemporal nature of the
remittance behaviour emerges very clearly, giving rise to individual patterns
which are difficult to synthesize by a simple description. Building on our
framework, we find also support for theoretical models which predict different
remittance time paths between return and permanent migrants.
Date: 2012
By: Hirsch, Boris
Jahn, Elke J.
This paper investigates immigrants' and natives' labour supply to the firm
within a semi-structural approach based on a dynamic monopsony framework.
Applying duration models to a large administrative employer-employee data set
for Germany, we find that once accounting for unobserved worker heterogeneity
immi-grants supply labour less elastically to firms than natives. Under
monopsonistic wage setting the estimated elasticity differential predicts a 4.7
log points wage penalty for immigrants thereby accounting for almost the entire
unexplained native-immigrant wage differential of 2.9-5.9 log points. Our
results imply that employers profit from discriminating against immigrants. --
Mithilfe eines semistrukturellen Schätzansatzes, der auf ei-nem dynamischen
Monopsonmodell beruht, untersuchen wir das Arbeitsangebot von Immigranten und
Einheimischen auf Firmenebene. Unter Verwendung von Verweil-dauermodellen und
eines großen administrativen
 Firmen-Beschäftigten-Datensatzes für Deutschland finden wir, dass Immigranten
eine geringere Arbeitsangebotselasti-zität auf Firmenebene aufweisen als
Einheimische, sofern für unbeobachtete Personenheterogenität kontrolliert wird.
Wird monopsonistische Lohnsetzung unter-stellt, so folgt aus den gefundenen
Elastizitätsunterschieden ein Lohnabschlag für Immigranten von 4.7 Logpunkten.
Dies entspricht nahezu dem gesamten unerklärten Lohndifferential zwischen
Immigranten und Einheimischen in Höhe von 2.9-5.9 Log-punkten. Unsere
Ergebnisse implizieren, dass Arbeitgeber von Lohndiskriminierung gegen
Immigranten profitieren.
Date: 2012-11-21
By: Z. Eylem Gevrek (Department of Economics, University of Konstanz, Germany)
Deniz Gevrek (Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi, Texas)
Sonam Gupta (Food and Resource Economics Department, University of Florida,
Gainesville, USA)
We examine the impact of culture on the work behavior of second-generation
immigrant women in Canada. We contribute to the current literature by analyzing
the role of intermarriage in intergenerational transmission of culture and its
subsequent effect on labor market outcomes. Using relative female labor force
participation and total fertility rates in the country of ancestry as cultural
proxies, we find that culture matters for the female labor supply. Cultural
proxies are significant in explaining number of hours worked by
second-generation women with immigrant parents. Our results provide evidence
that the impact of cultural proxies is significantly larger for women with
immigrant parents who share same ethnic background than for those with
intermarried parents. The fact that the effect of culture is weaker for women
who were raised in intermarried families stresses the importance of
intermarriage in assimilation process. Our findings imply that
 government policies targeting labor supply of women may have differential
effect on labor market behavior of immigrant women of different ancestries.
Date: 2012
By: Neubecker, Nina
Smolka, Marcel
This paper provides evidence that transnational networks, defined as networks
operating across nationalities, are shaping observed patterns of international
migration. In a stylized model of migration with random friendship formation,
individuals from a given origin country are attracted to destinations hosting
large migrant communities from countries which are culturally and
geographically close to their own origin country. In addition, the attracting
force of a large community of co-national migrants is the larger, the larger
the community of migrants from other culturally proximate countries in the same
destination. Both predictions are supported by aggregate migration data on
international migration to Spain, detailed by origin country and destination
province. Our findings imply that the literature estimating network effects in
migration has been overly restrictive in its definition of migrant networks. --
Date: 2012-11
By: Yvonni Markaki (Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of
Essex)
Simonetta Longhi (Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of
Essex)
Different disciplines within the social sciences have produced large
theoretical and empirical literatures to explain the determinants of
anti-immigration attitudes. We bring together these literatures in a unified
framework and identify testable hypothesis on what characteristics of the
individual and of the local environment are likely to have an impact on
anti-immigration attitudes. While most of the previous literature focuses on
the explanation of attitudes at the individual level, we focus on the impact on
regional characteristics (the local context). Our aim is to explain why people
living in different regions differ in terms of their attitudes towards
immigration. We isolate the impact of regions from regressions using
individual-level data and explain this residual regional heterogeneity in
attitudes with aggregate level indicators of regional characteristics. We find
that regions with a higher percentage of immigrants born outside the EU and a
 higher unemployment rate among the immigrant population show a higher
probability that natives express negative attitudes to immigration. Regions
with a higher unemployment rate among natives however, show less pronounced
anti-immigrant attitudes.
Date: 2012-10-24
By: Markaki, Yvonni
This paper explores individual and regional characteristics as sources of
anti-immigration attitudes of white UK born respondents using survey data from
the five rounds of the European Social Survey, between 2002 and 2010, alongside
regional indicators of population composition, labour market and skills context
computed from the Labour Force Survey. Contrary to expectations, the regional
unemployment rates for natives and immigrants are not statistically associated
with a higher or lower probability of expressing anti-immigration attitudes.
Furthermore, findings sug- gest that native respondents are more likely to
support immigration restriction of those from poorer countries regardless of
whether they are European or not and irrespective of ethnicity.
Date: 2012-11
By: Simonetta Longhi (Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of
Essex)
Magdalena Rokicka (Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of
Essex)
The 2004 accession of Eastern European countries (EU8) to the European Union
has generated concerns about the influx of low-skill immigrants to the Western
member states (EU15). Only three countries, namely Ireland, Sweden, and the UK,
did not impose restrictions to immigration from Eastern Europe. Did the
elimination of barrier to immigration have an impact on the quality of
immigrants arriving to the UK? Using EU15 immigrants as a control group, we
find systematic differences between EU8 immigrants arrived before and after the
enlargement. The elimination of barriers to immigration seems to have changed
the quantity and quality of EU8 immigrants to the UK.
Date: 2012-11-16
By: Emmanouil Tranos (VU University Amsterdam)
Masood Gheasi (VU University Amsterdam)
Peter Nijkamp (VU University Amsterdam)
Migration has become a prominent research theme in geography and regional
science and it has been approached from various methodological angles.
Nonetheless, a common missing element in most migration studies is the lack of
awareness of the overall network topology, which characterizes migration flows.
Although gravity models focus on spatial interaction - in this case migration -
between pairs of origins and destinations, they do not provide insights into
the topology of a migration network. In the present paper, we will employ
network analysis to address such systemic research questions, in particular:
How centralized or dispersed are migration flows and how does this structure
evolve over time? And how is migration activity clustered between specific
countries, and if so, do such patterns change over time? Going a step further
than exploratory network analysis, this paper estimates international migration
models for OECD countries based on a dual ap
 proach: gravity models estimated using conventional econometric approaches
such as panel data regressions as well as network-based regression techniques
such as MRQAP. The empirical results reveal not only the determinants of
international migration among OECD countries, but also the value of blending
network analysis with more conventional analytic methods.
Date: 2012-11
By: Paola Conconi (Université Libre de Bruxelles, ECARES and CEPR)
Giovanni Facchini (University of Nottingham, Universitá degli Studi di Milano,
CEPR, CES-Ifo, IZA and LdA)
Max F. Steinhardt (Hamburg Institute for International Economics, LdA and CELSI)
Maurizio Zanardi (Université Libre de Bruxelles and ECARES)
Over the last decades, the United States has become increasingly integrated in
the world economy. Very low trade barriers and comparatively liberal migration
policies have made these developments possible. What drove US congressmen to
support the recent wave of globalization? While much of the literature has
emphasized the differences that exist between the political economy of trade
and migration, in this paper we find that important similarities should not be
overlooked. In particular, our analysis of congressional voting between 1970
and 2006 suggests that economic drivers that work through the labor market play
an important role in shaping representatives’ behavior on both types of
policies. Representatives from more skilled-labor abundant districts are more
likely to support both trade liberalization and a more open stance vis-à-vis
unskilled immigration. Still, important systematic differences exist: welfare
state considerations and network
 effects have an impact on the support for immigration liberalization, but not
for trade; Democratic lawmakers are systematically more likely to support a
more open migration stance than their Republican counterparts, whereas the
opposite is true for trade liberalization.
Date: 2012-11-22
By: Felbermayr, Gabriel
Grossmann, Volker
Kohler, Wilhelm
In this paper, we provide an overview of the relationship between international
migration and international trade as well as capital movements. After taking a
brief historical perspective, we first investigate migration flows between two
countries in a static, neoclassical context. We allow for a disaggregated view
of migration that distinguishes between different types of labor and emphasizes
the distinction between migration flows and pre-existing stocks. We focus on
different welfare channels, on internal income distribution, international
income convergence and on whether migration and trade are substitutes or
complements. Complementarity/substitutability hinges on whether countries share
the same technology, and the pivotal question is whether or not technology is
convex. Generally, under substitutability between trade and migration and with
convex technology, globalization tends to lead to convergence. Moreover, under
non-convex technology trade
 and migration tend to be complements. Turning to dynamic models with capital
adjustment costs and capital mobility, the same is true for the relationship
between migration and capital flows. Nevertheless, in neoclassical models, we
may observe emigration at the same time as capital accumulates during the
transition to a steady state. Moreover, we can explain reverse migration. We
also touch upon the effects of migration on the accumulation of both knowledge
and human capital, by invoking endogenous growth theory. Finally, we review the
empirical literature exploring the link between migration and trade. The
discussion is based on the so called gravity model of trade, in which trade
between pairs of countries is related to measures of their respective sizes,
preferences, and trade costs. We revisit the identification of the overall
trade-creating effect of migration and its break-down into the trade channel
and the preference channel. We clarify the role
 of product differentiation for the size of estimated effects, discuss the role
of immigrants' education and occupation, and emphasize direct and indirect
networks and their trade-enhancing potential.
Date: 2012-10
By: E. J. Wilson (Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI))
K. Jayanthakumaran
R. Verma
This paper considers two major issues that need to be treated as matters
of urgency. First, internal (within country) migrations in the Asian (ACI)
region are mostly undocumented and large. It is shown there are significant
differences in wages and human development measures to which migrants will
respond. Our first (of two) recommendation(s) is the need to collect better
information on migration and for wage premiums and discounts to be estimated
across sectors and countries. The second major issue is the emerging
demographic imbalances in the form of aging, which will give dependency ratios
that have never been experienced in all of recorded human existence. This needs
urgent attention and the development of appropriate migration policies. Whilst
it is possible to share the burdens of ageing and dependency through migration,
this will not happen under present arrangements. Migration cannot continue to
be treated differently to trade and
 finance. A framework needs to be developed to provide a coherent set of
policies relating to migration and social welfare, within and across countries
in the Asian region. Our second recommendation is for the East Asia Summit
(ASEAN+10) to set up a high level working group to consider possible future
harmonized migration based policies, bringing together relevant economic,
political, social and legal issues. This should encompass the recent ASEAN
leadership on the rights of migrant workers and labor work programs. It
complements the Summit’s focus on education and human resource development
and heeds the World Economic Forum’s call for Asian leadership in enhancing
regional connectivity (expanded to include human resources). As we have argued
many times in this paper, increasing the mobility of humans is the best way to
not only promote economic efficiency, but to provide freedom and significant
improvements in their wellbeing and quality
 of life.
Date: 2012-11
By: Raquel Carrasco
J. Ignacio García Pérez
This paper studies how unemployment and employment durations for immigrants and
natives respond differently to changes in the economic conditions due to the
2008 crisis and to the receipt of unemployment benefits when the economy
declines. Using administrative data for Spain, we estimate multi-state
multi-spell duration models that disentangle unobserved heterogeneity from true
duration dependence. Our findings suggest that immigrants are more sensitive to
changes in economic conditions, both in terms of unemployment and employment
hazards. Moreover, the effect of the business cycle is not constant but
decreases with duration at a higher rate among immigrants. The results also
point to a disincentive effect of unemployment benefits on unemployment
duration, which is stronger for immigrants but only at the beginning of the
unemployment spell and mainly during good times (before the 2008 recession).
Finally, we find evidence of a positive effect of
 unemployment benefits on subsequent employment duration, but only for native
workers with temporary contracts. Nonetheless, this effect vanishes as workers
qualify again for unemployment benefits.
Date: 2012
By: Ben-Gad, M.
How much can governments shift the cost of government expenditure from today’s
voters to tomorrow’s generations of immigrants, without resorting to taxation
that is explicitly discriminatory? I demonstrate that if their societies are
absorbing continuous flows of new immigrants, we should expect governments that
represent the interests of today’s population, even if that population is
altruistically linked to future generations, to choose policies that shift some
portion of the tax burden to the future. This bias in favor of deficit finance
is not infinite. Today’s population or their descendents, together with future
immigrants, ultimately pay the higher taxes necessary to finance the
accumulated debt, and live with the additional excess burdens these higher
taxes generate. For a given rate of immigration and policy horizon, governments
balance the deadweight losses associated with fluctuating tax rates against the
benefits that accrue to the
 initial resident population from shifting part of the burden of financing
government expenditure to future immigrant families. To measure the deficit
bias, I analyse the dynamic behavior of an optimal growth model with
overlapping dynasties and factor taxation, calibrated for the US economy.
Models with overlapping infinite-lived dynasties allow for a very clear
distinction between natural population growth (an increase in the size of
existing dynasties) and immigration (the addition of new dynasties). They also
provide an alternative to the strict dichotomy between models with overlapping
generations, where agents disregard the impact of their choices on future
generations, and the quasi-Ricardian world of infinite-lived dynasties with
representative agents that fully participate in both the economy and the
political system in every period. The trajectory of the debt burden predicted
by the model is a good match for the rise in US Federal government
 debt since the early 1980’s, as well as the increases in debt projected by the
Congressional Budget Office over the next few decades.

This nep–mig issue is ©2012 by Yuji Tamura. It is provided as is without any
express or implied warranty. It may be freely redistributed in whole or in part
for any purpose. If distributed in part, it must include this copyright notice.
It may not be sold, or placed in something else for sale.
General information on the NEP project can be found at http://nep.repec.org/.
For comments please write to the director of NEP, Marco Novarese at < director
@ nep point repec point org >.