[colombiamigra] Fw: Immigration Reform at a Dangerous Juncture

  • From: william mejia <wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <colombiamigra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:06:11 -0700 (PDT)

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: National Alliance of Latin American and Caribbean Communities
<info@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 4:36 PM
Subject: Immigration Reform at a Dangerous Juncture

Immigration Reform at a Dangerous Juncture
By Oscar Chacón, Executive Director, NALACC
  Since late last year, immigrant communities in the US have watched carefully,
as first the Senate and now the House of Representatives takes up the issue of
immigration reform. As anyone familiar with the system can attest, the country
is in urgent need of public policies that can start to repair the many years of
neglect that have pushed our immigration laws far out of sync with the
realities of modern global migration.
As immigrant communities from Mexico, Central America and the rest of Latin
America, we have listened to elected officials tout the growing importance of
Latino voters.  In this context, we had high hopes that the US Congress would
put an end once and for all to the toxic rhetoric about immigration, and
recognize the multiple ways in which immigrant communities, particularly those
who reside in the US without authorization, have generously contributed to
economic growth and fiscal revenues at all levels of government.
Sadly, the nature of the national conversation about immigration policy reform
and about immigrant communities has remained as poisonous as in years past. The
most recent turn of events in the legislative process clearly demonstrates how
twisted this process has become. In the service of achieving “Comprehensive
Immigration Reform” at all costs, our policy makers continue to feed into the
erroneous notion that building more walls and essentially turning the US
southern border into a permanent war zone, is the “solution” to our broken
immigration policy. This is both bad public policy and obscenely wasteful;
estimates are in excess of $40 billion over the next 10 years for drones,
walls, and other draconian measures.
Washington pundits, particularly the architects and main promoters of the
legislative and policy strategy dubbed “Comprehensive Immigration Reform
(CIR),” argue that these measures are part of the political compromise that
will finally bring immigration policy reform to the finish line.  From the
perspective of folks living outside the Washington, DC bubble, this logic is
hard to follow.   As we see it, the goal of good public policy is taking a back
seat to concessions to racist, xenophobic and corporate interests that have
converged to take advantage of the immigration policy reform debate to push
their own agendas.  If we end up with a policy that effectively shuts out many
of the people it purports to help, while siphoning large amounts of public
funds into private pockets, we run the risk of ending up in a worse situation
than the one we are in now. Our country, including all its immigrant
communities, deserves better.
Truly responsible and long lasting solutions to our nation’s immigration policy
will require a carefully crafted suite of interventions, only a few of which
are being addressed in the current legislative process.  For example, if our
policy makers were truly concerned about creating conditions for more people in
Mexico and the rest of Latin America to remain in their own countries, we
should be addressing the factors that have pushed people to come to the US
under far from ideal conditions.
While the final outcome of the push for CIR remains uncertain, everyone
committed to justice, equality and the respect of basic human rights must be
clear that there will be a lot of work ahead of us, with or without legislative
action this year. In particular, immigrant communities across the nation will
have to find the wisdom and the courage to address the dual challenges of
getting the most benefit of any changes to the immigration law that may be
enacted this year, while at the same time becoming much better organized to
right all the wrongs that the current proposed changes will leave unaddressed.
Furthermore, we will need to develop our capacity to address the host of new
problems that will be engendered by such a reform. Latin American immigrant
communities must rise to this challenge. The best guarantee of a healthy
democracy is a highly organized and educated population able to keep our
elected officials accountable to the people every single
 day, not just on Election Day.
National Alliance of Latin American and Caribbean Communitites
1638 S. Blue Island
Chicago, IL 60608You are subscribed toNALACC's email list as
wmejia8a@xxxxxxxxx. If you did not subscribe, or would no longer like to
receive email updates, Click here to unsubscribe