engineering a collaboration

  • From: "David Murch" <dmurch1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 22:38:46 -0400

I am working through a number of collaborative cases and I find myself sitting with five engineers in five different collaborations. Next to you or across the table, has anyone noticed patterns of behavior or made helpful observations about how to help similar clients through CFL process? Stereotypes are not helpful, but I can't help notice some similarities that command my attention.
Do personalities that feel most comfortable being in control, opt for CFL process with the hope of maintaining some or more of that control?
Does that desire for control sometimes translate to wanting control of the process?
What are some techniques that can be employed by the professionals to seek a balance and an optimum collaborative process?
Dave Murch, Collaborative Lawyer
Rochester, New York