Two coaches, two rates?

  • From: Maclaw <maclaw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:44:44 -0400

Listmates:

As an attorney and as a real estate broker, I have always heard at Continuing Ed trainings and elsewhere that two professionals never want to agree on rates to be charged. I am not an anti-trust lawyer, but you might want to seek legal advice before you "agree" on what rates attorneys, coaches, or other professionals will be charging. I am a die hard believer in free enterprise and strongly believe that you should value your services based upon training, experience, education, and what people are willing to pay. This valuation occurs independent of what others charge, except in the sense that you usually want to be competitive. I also recognize that sometimes people equate price with value or worth and will wonder if they have a good coach, lawyer, or financial professional based upon the rates being charged. To the extent that the participants are struggling with why one professional charges more than another or if they are getting the best advice, this is an issue to be dealt with in the collaborative process. The process should clearly not be used like OPEC is used.

Jac E. Knust
Collaborative Attorney and Mediator

On Jun 23, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Jann Glasser wrote:

Sue,

Here in So Ca, we generally use a two coach model. Since each coach is billing their respective client separately, rates are charged according to each individual coach's billing scale. There has been no negative feedback from clients thus far regsrding this practice.

Jann Glasser LCSW LMFT

Divroce Coach

901 Dove St. Ste. 299

Newport Beach, CA 92660