Newspaper Article; Flexibility

  • From: "Douglas J. Sanderson" <dsand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:23:29 -0500

Nice article, Gary, yes. One part of it that caught my eye in particular was the reinforcement that the CLIENTS are to be in control. See this passage:

Collaborative practice puts the separated couple in the driver's seat, or, more appropriately, seats. While their lawyers are always in the room to offer advice or give guidance, the couple sort out for themselves how they want their life to look post-divorce, where the kids will live and how much of the time, what the primary breadwinner will pay in support.

Nearby are also financial and family counselling experts who can help clear away unexpected hurdles and get the two sides back on track if things start going off the rails, without the "bottomless pit" of $300 to $600 per hour lawyer fees needed to mount a court challenge.

In the context of determining, or arguing intellectually, "which is better," the 4-way model (i.e., clients and lawyers) or the 6-way model ("team model" including 2 coaches at virtually every step), I enjoy seeing this reminder that whatever model is applied, it's a good idea to maintain flexibility to vary the process, if the clients want to do so and there's not inherent illegality or idiocy in what they want to do. At least that's my view.
-- -- --
Douglas J. Sanderson
McCandlish & Lillard, P.C.
11350 Random Hills Road, Suite 500
Fairfax, Virginia 22030-7429
Telephone: (703) 934-1122
Facsimile: (703) 352-4300
email: dsand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.mccandlaw.com

On Jan 28, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Gary Direnfeld wrote:

Great article on Collaborative Law in Canada's largest daily newspaper:

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/578198

Gary Direnfeld, MSW, RSW
Interaction Consultants and I Promise Program Inc.
20 Suter Crescent,
Dundas, Ontario, Canada L9H 6R5

(905) 628-4847
gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Parenting: www.yoursocialworker.com
Teen safe driving: www.ipromiseprogram.com

Gary Direnfeld is a social worker and expert on matters of family life. Courts in Ontario, Canada, have deemed Gary an expert on child development, parent-child relations, marital and family therapy, custody and access recommendations, social work and an expert for the purpose of giving a critique on a Section 112 (social work) report.

Services include counselling, mediation, assessments, assessment critiques and workshops. Go to his website to read his many articles and view clips of television and radio appearances: www.yoursocialworker.com