Re: [CollabLaw] the collaborative file

  • From: Judith Conte <divorcescripts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:19:01 -0800

When I was trained a few years back, I understood we weren't supposed to keep much of a file except signed participation agreement, minutes, other agreements signed along the way, final agreements. Is this info incorrect. Am I supposed to be creating, maintaining and retaining a file with notes, attorney impressions, agreements that were discussed but never finalized, etc. etc.? Judith Conte, Anchorage, Alaska

On Apr 1, 2010, at 3:43 PM, honeyhastingsnh wrote:

A colleagus on mine asks this question. I would appreciate your thoughts: "I have a collaborative case that is in the post-divorce phase. My client cannot get her ex-husband to return to the collaborative process and has now hired other counsel to file a Petition to Modify.

Her counsel has requested my file. What documents can and should I turn over to my client's new counsel? Can I turn over my entire file? Especially where it is post divorce, I see no issues with doing so, but wonder what you all think. Is there anything I am required to withhold?"

And, would your answer be different if the change in counsel & process occurred duringthe divorce?