Re: [CollabLaw] The billable hour

  • From: "Douglas J. Sanderson" <dsand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <CollabLaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 09:38:58 -0400

Caps are a TERRIBLE idea, without some caveats: They mean that the attorney receives AT BEST his/her hourly rate, and at worst eats lots of unbillable hours. The financial risk is all on the attorney, none on the client.

At least with a flat fee, BOTH sides have some risk -- the attorney could get the work done quicker, and exceed his/her regular hourly rate, or the work could take more time, which would end up benefiting the client. But I've never figured how to do a fair flat rate on most work of any substance, since one never knows what will come up that wasn't disclosed or foreseen. I'm happy to hear some fair ideas.

Example: I have a case pending now (non-CL) where I was hired JUST to do the uncontested divorce. The paperwork, separation agreement, even QDROs, all had been done. I told the client she could expect to incur a certain modest range of fees. One might analogize this to a flat fee for purposes of analysis here. Took the case. Paperwork submitted: the PSA had no reference at all to alimony, no reference to child support other than each parent would pay for whatever arose when he/she has the kids, a couple of other smaller issues; the QDROs included one for a thrift savings plan. (FYI, they don't USE "QDROs!") Needless to say, we incurred significant add'l time, with client's consent, but invoicing this matter has been difficult!

-- -- --
Douglas J. Sanderson
McCandlish & Lillard, P.C.
11350 Random Hills Road, Suite 500
Fairfax, Virginia 22030-7429
Telephone: (703) 934-1122
Facsimile: (703) 352-4300
email: dsand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.mccandlaw.com

On Apr 15, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Jayne Jones Barstow wrote:

I have not done it yet but it had to come to this in this economy. The one thing that has always been missing in legal matters is a cap on fees. Amy Noe of Richmond Indiana is going to try it. You might speak to her in a few months and see how it turned out.

Jayne Jones Barstow
Attorney at Law
Houston Offfice:                    Indiana Office:
2702 Double Lake Dr             3398 Mattie Harris Rd
Missouri City, TX 77459         Centerville, IN 47330
281.261.9773                        765.855.3262
281.261.9774 Fax                  765.855.3193 Fax
lawqueenie@xxxxxxx
www.barstowlawfirm.com