[codeface] Re: Feature-aware Collaboration Analysis with Codeface

  • From: Matthias Dittrich <matthi.d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wolfgang Mauerer <wm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:41:49 +0200

Hello Wolfgang,

On 15.10.2014 21:27, Wolfgang Mauerer wrote:
Am 13/10/2014 16:56, schrieb Wolfgang Mauerer:
Am 13/10/2014 13:37, schrieb Matthias Dittrich:

I'll follow up with a few comments on the pull requests. In the future,
it would be great if you could send the patches to the mailing list
in addition to the pull requests -- the latter are easier to handle
when it comes to merging, but having the patches as mails simplifies
commenting on the code (and eventually, we'd like to analyse our
own mailing lists some day).
it's hard to reference specific portions of the code otherwise
No problem I will just do that, but just a quick note: You can actually
comment on any line by just clicking on the corresponding line within
the pull request pages. (see
https://help.github.com/articles/commenting-on-the-diff-of-a-pull-request/)
And if you really want to have that all on the mailing list, you could
just forward the generated github emails to the mailing list... It's
actually a very fast process compared to sending emails.
ah okay, I was not aware of this. If it's possible to automatically send
these comments to the mailing list without having to do a manual
forwarding, this could be a viable alternative. I have not figured out
how to do that after a quick look, but maybe it possible to let
the mailing list watch the project. I'll look into it.
so I had a look at this: eMail replies to pull requests are
automatically integrated into the github web frontend -- this
is a nice thing, because it allows for using different front ends
(email and web) for the same backend (the database that stores
all comments to pull requests).

However, I did not manage to set up a similar scheme for working
with diff comments: I could surely forward emails from github to
the mailing list, but then there would be two disparate ways
of continuing the discussion (email and web frontend). Or am I
missing some github trick that would integrate both means?
I'm not sure but I always thought that answering an email would post it on the github website (even for diff emails), so the only problem I see are duplicated posts when somebody answers the github email and ccing the mailing list? But I'm not absolutely sure about that.. I thought redirecting the emails and making sure answers are sent to github (and not to the mailing list, because they will be redirected anyway) would work fine.

Mitchell has used email based submission quite often, he can
surely help you out when there might be issues.
Thanks, but I think I got it, see the mailing list (thanks for the git send-email tip).

Best regards, Wolfgang

Do you use any tool for that to make the diffs kind of look nice in the
emails? Working with plaintext diffs seems kind of strange in comparison
to the colorful github pages.
actually, I don't. This just follows the linux kernel methodology, which
is quite efficient. With git send-email, it's also quite simple
to send the commits.

Best regards, Wolfgang

I will now try to fix all the mentioned issues, do some rebasing and
send the diffs in this list, this could take a while...

Thanks & best regards, Wolfgang
  From the  pull request:
=================================
These commits add support for the pydev IDE and add some helper scripts
to setup the environment (codefaceEnv.sh) or run codeface directly
(runCli.py) from the workspace (without doing any make).

It is also an easy way to run the unit tests of my other pull request
(open pydev and run them).

If there is anything missing/unclear/not acceptable go ahead and ask.

Regards,
   Matthias

Best Regards,
 Matthias