[codeface] Codeface installation on Ubuntu 14.04 and comments on the install guide

  • From: Gottfried Hofmann <gottfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: codeface@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:59:59 +0100

Hello,

I'm currently installing Codeface on a machine with Ubuntu 14.04 alpha. The good news: Packages for R, mySQL workbench and graphviz are up-to-date.

Yet I still encountered some glitches:

R - Rpoppler:
* installing *source* package ‘Rpoppler’ ...
** package ‘Rpoppler’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
checking whether pkg-config knows about poppler-glib >= 0.18.0... no
configure: error: cannot determine poppler-glib compile/link flags
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘Rpoppler’
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Rpoppler’

Solution:

Install libpoppler-dev libpoppler-glib-dev from official repos.

These two could be added to the section "|# Devel packages required to build the R packages below from source"| in the install guide.
--------

The command

  install.packages(c("snatm", "tm-plugin-mail",
                   repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org";)

misses a ")" after mail". Please fix in install guide.

--------

One question about the install guide: It tells you to create a database user "quantarch" - last time I installed codeface I created a user named "codeface" and it worked fine. The user "quantarch" is used for testing, right?

Cheers,
Gottfried